Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to limit client numbers on a Cisco AP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to limit client numbers on a Cisco AP?

We have mostly Aironet 1121's and some 1130's, and Im looking for a way to limit how many clients can be associated before any more attempts being refused

Thats basically it, Ive looked all over the web interface for an option but cant find anything, not sure if its something that has to be with the CLI?

Re: Any way to limit client numbers on a Cisco AP?

Hi ghughes87,

I have never run across this question before. I read through the aironet IOS docs and looked through the web interfaces on one of my units but can't find any way to hardcode some kind of "max connection limit".

Of course the AP has its "max theoretical limit" and that may be what you are trying to prevent.

I'm not sure if these will help but here are some ideas I came up with concerning ways to limit this-
    1. restrcit access by MAC address - this way you could hardcode the MAC addresses who can access the AP and keep it to a max of 20, or whatever you are wanting to limit it to. The downside, of course, is that you have to KNOW the MAC addresses of the clients.
    2. use some kind of authentication to limit who has access to what - you could set the WEP code on each AP to something different and only hand out that WEP code to a certain number of users. You could also use RADIUS authentication with EAP and limit login on a certain AP to a certain group of, say, Windows users.

I know that didn't answer your question exactly but these are just some ideas....

Does anyone else have any comments or thoughts on this topic??

Thanks for posting!

-David Davis
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions

I have actually accomplished this, although it didnt have the results I expected

Theres an option called max-associations which we set, and it does work, Ive set it to one in a test, and the access point does indeed refuse any more connections after the first one
      However when a new client tries to connect to that access point, and gets refused it just tries again, rather than try the next strongest access point, eventually leading to it giving up and saying that it cant connect to the wireless

I thought that if the 2 AP's were close enough to be detected by each other in the Network Map part of the config page, the client might get 'passed' over to the next AP, but no.

I assume now this could be a limitation with the XP Wireless Zero Config, which is quite basic, so I suppose that doesnt make it a Cisco problem anymore

Comment

Hi ghughes87,

Thanks for the update on this. I am glad to hear that you found a solution to the max-associations issue.

Yes, you may be right about why the client doesn't connect to the next strongest AP. It was my understanding that a Windows client would connect to the strongest AP available. Is the checkbox "automatically connect to non-prefered networks" checked? I wonder if this would supercede the prefered AP order. Just a thought...

Please keep us posted on your testing as I would like to learn what you find out on this issue.

Thanks for posting!
        David
        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
        X