Port Unavailable when connected to VPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Unavailable when connected to VPN

I have a server 192.168.1.120 that runs an application that is accessible via port 211. When connected to the LAN, this works fine. If I connect to the VPN and try to connect to this port, it fails. When on the VPN I get the IP 172.16.2.xx.
    I've done some logging and work with wireshark and this indicates a connection reset.

How can I ensure that this port is available when connected via the VPN?

Re: Port Unavailable when connected to VPN

Both the IP addresses you give are private ones. When you connect to your VPN, that function is set up to issue you an internal address from some DHCP scope, in this case from the 172... range. Since the server port 211 you want to get to is in the 192... range, something inside your system has to route your request from one subnet to the other, and back again.

Check your routing path(s) and see if A) there is a path between these networks, and B) no access rules block that port in either direction.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

There is a route between the two. When on the VPN I can ping 192.168.1.120 and RDP to the machine. I've checked the acl and there is nothing blocking any of the ports that I can see.

Comment

If you are able to ping and RDP to the server via VPN, then check this server to see if the application running on port 211 is not accepting connections from the VPN address space. I would also check server firewall settings to see if its blocking connections from the VPN address space.

You also have not mentioned what type of VPN client you are using. Do the ACL's for encrypting traffic across the tunnel possibly block access to port 211?

Comment

The windows firewall on the server concerned is off. The VPN client I am using is Cisco VPN client 5.0.07.0290.
          The ACLs appear to allow everything that I can see.

Comment

Working...
          X