Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to disable question mark ?

Hello,
    I would like to know if there is anyway how disable question mark in cisco packet tracer or how can I limit the number of times that can be used?
    I have a lab which is used by some student exams and I don't want them to use it all time

Cheers

Re: how to disable question mark ?

Don't know if it's possible, but using the question mark is something that will be used all the time in real practice.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Superglue on the keyboard?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, Dumber. For real world it's good, but some students depends on it very heavily during the exam and some of them were able to figure out the commands of the lab

Comment

Isn't that the whole point of help??

Comment

Originally posted by tiger1 View Post
            Yes, Dumber. For real world it's good, but some students depends on it very heavily during the exam and some of them were able to figure out the commands of the lab
            You mean, like they would in real life? Isn't that a good thing?

Being able to memorize commands is not a particularly useful skill. Sure, you have to know some basic commands (like enable, various show commands, the most basic interface configuration commands), but it's much more important to understand the concepts and know what's possible to do. Once you know that, you can use Google and the help command to figure out the details.

In other words, while a Packet Tracer scenario can certainly be part of a test or an exam, I don't think it should be the entire exam.

Comment

the ? key is probably the first key to blank out and die on my little console laptop...

not saying that i cant use the basic commands to work my way around formatting flash: accidentally, and in the pre-OS load the ? key doesnt even return anything, but if im doing something more than a basic setup, i rely on that key like its connected to an oxygen tank.

seriously, that sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to tell someone that they can only use the help feature 5 times during the test, but in real life its wide open.

we want you to have experience in what a car crash is like. go drive this truck into that wall @ 50mph, but you cant wear your seat-belt while you learn...

i use the tab key and ?mark keys repeatedly without hesitation or discretion... im even known to cycle thru tab completion or the up arrow while im thinking.

yeah, sounds like something out of the cisco nazi handbook. dont do it, just impress the importance of at least having a good idea what the syntax should look like with each command. try to use them all, and learn to use the ? mark key...

or just rip it off the keyboard and putty the hole over with hot glue or elmers.
              its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
              Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I use the ? all the time. Some devices have slightly different syntax or I use if I'm a bit unsure if I'm heading the right direction.
                Although I do understand that you want to make sure they memorise the right commands, personally during tests I would ask those questions on paper. You get a 2-stage exam. One on paper and one lab where they have to configure or resolve something to make sure they understand the concepts.

For such you could say, setup a VPN where a user can login, setup a site to site VPN, etc etc. Sure they can use the ?, but if you don't know how to setup a VPN, the ? won't help you.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Question mark is allowed even in real cisco exam and its a good way to explore commands.

Comment

Working...
                  X