No announcement yet.

Cisco 1141 draft 2 802.11n problems...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 1141 draft 2 802.11n problems...

i have this 1141 draft 2 that is being a PITA. im not going to describe the entire scene i caused with it, and will try to keep this short.

i also need to make it clear that i am not a cisco master by any means and my level of 'expertise' is minimal to say the least.

i cannot get into the web management page to save my life. here is what i did...

i did a password recovery to get into the console. this worked. i can type "Cisco" after 'enable' and i get an elevated prompt (ap#) so that is working correctly.

even though i did the password/AP reset, i still had the same host name and bad IP address/wrong tfpt, etc. i couldnt find the config.txt file in "flash:" so i didnt know how to remove the config and start over, so here is what i did:

i killed the boot during the startup and formatted the flash: directory via console connection. i type "reload" or "boot" but nothing worked because i formated the flash directory.

i got the newest version of the firmware... the file was c1140-k9w7-tar.152-4.JB4.tar, but i have access to all the images.

i take the bricked AP and using the set command...
    set IP_ADDR 192.168.1.50
    set NETMASK 255.255.255.0
    set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.1.1

then i init_tfpt...

so then i do:
    tar -xtract tfpt://192.168.1.100/c1140-k9w7-tar.152-4.JB4.tar flash:/

and it starts blowing up lines of crap as it decompresses the tarball and does its thing...

it finishes all that tar crap and then i tell it to "boot" which it did. i figured i would have this thing to the way it comes out of the box, but i still cannot open the web browser.

it doesnt respond to pings either. its correctly able to use the tftp and ping my box, but i cannot open the IP either https or http to use the web feature... and i kinda need that cause im horrible at creating multiple SSIDs via the command line and would prefer to use the browser to set that up.

so what did i mess up? i was pretty sure that formatting the flash and then using the latest image would put things pretty much back to the OBE state, but its not.

how do i enable the web feature via console connection? how can i enable ICMP replies so that i can ping it?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Cisco 1141 draft 2 802.11n problems...

Did you, ap#> write mem (or wr ) BEFORE you rebooted? This ensures the flash is written to memory because if you just reboot then you may have issues.
    Last edited by biggles77; 8th July 2014, 15:17.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

no, i basically followed the upgrade instructions out of the pdf. when i restart the AP, it boots like its supposed to... i guess. ive only ever see it fail to boot and boot, i dont know a good boot from a bad one.

but i dont know what the "write mem" does. it wasnt in the walk thru, so i didnt type that, but i can.

im thinking that these things were setup to work with a WLAN controller, which we dont have anymore. see, the equipment was purchased to operate on an extention of another network... the building used to have a t1 connecting it and providing the connection to the WLAN controller, but now they have done away with the t1s and there is no connectivity to the WLAN box... so they have these APs that are useless unless i can make them work as stand alone APs.

but now the IP scope has changed and its impossible for the thing to connect to.

Comment

These are the instructions I was given to upgrade the Cisco WAPs but they were 1252 and 1262 and not the 1141 however I can't see why this wouldn't work. Obviously you don't need the SolarWinds TFTP as you seem to have a TFTP already setup.

Setup TFTP server
        The Cisco WAP requires a TFTP connection to download the different firmware, the following describes how to use SolarWinds free TFTP Server.
        1. Install SolarWinds TFTP Server
        Run c:\tftp_temp\SolarWindsTftpServer.exe.
        or
        Download: http://www.solarwinds.com/register/i...0150000000CcH2
        2. Load SolarWinds TFTP Server
        3. Click File > Configure
        4. Click Browse to select the Storage: TFTP Server Root Directory where the required files were copied. E.g. c:\tftp_temp

Connect WAP to network
        Cisco WAP’s are set to obtain an IP address via DHCP by default. The WAP needs to be connected to the network and be able to contact the TFTP server to download the IOS.
        1. Connect WAP to network via Cat 5/6 cable
        2. Power-on WAP using a Cisco WAP Power Supply or via POE

Connecting to WAP using Putty
        1. Connect Console cable to of the PC, and into Console port on WAP
        2. Click Open Putty
        3. Select Connection type: Serial
        4. Specify Serial line: COM1 (may differ depending on port used, my Serial to USB uses COM3)
        5. Leave Speed as default: 9600
        6. Click Open, a session window will now be displayed, press enter a few times to kick off connection
        7. Type the following commands with the IP address of your TFTP server configured earlier):
        enable
        Password = Cisco
        debug capwap console cli
        archive download-sw tfpt://192.168.1.100/c1140-k9w7-tar.152-4.JB4.tar

8. The IOS will now be downloaded from the TFTP server and installed, this will take a few minutes and when complete will see:
        Deleting current version: flash:/whatever is was...done.
        New software image installed in flash:/c1140-k9w7-tar.152-4.JB4.tar
        Configuring system to use new image...done.

9. Type > wr , the updated IOS will now be written to NVRAM
        10.Type > reload the WAP will now reboot with the IOS loaded.
        Last edited by biggles77; 9th July 2014, 16:10. Reason: Fix massive formatting corruption. :-((((
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thank you. im going to go ahead and give this a shot so i can start using this $900 brick...

Comment

Let us know how it goes. I am NOT a Cisco person and just followed the Dummies Guide we were given to complete the task and it worked after a bit of trail and error and help from Cisco guys who were more comfortable and experienced with the IOS/cli than I am.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

sounds like your about as Ci$co skilled as i am. fer sure not a CCNA by any means, im just real good at following directions. granted, a good deal of it is trial and error (like formatting the damn flash: directory was probably not the smartest thing to do, but i think i can make it work.

what dummy guide did you get that from? i rely on the ci$co manuals, and without formal training, they dont make sense to me really. my linux experience actually does me better than their guides do...

im going to go give this a wack and report back.

thank you for taking the time to repost that for me. it seems to make more sense than their "walk-thru" does.

i will report back asap, good looking out!

Comment

Got a winner! the only thing i couldnt understand is the "debug capwap console cli" command. it says it doesnt know what im talking about...

but the rest worked out perfectly. soon as it finished, i could open the browser and make changes like i knew what i was doing.

biggles, thanks again!

Comment

"debug capwap console cli", no idea what the hell that is. Apparently it worked for some and not for others but that was in the what I call "Dummies Guide" that was written by others for the project. We just had to follow them, line by line and for most part all the info was there. I think it was the wr command that caused your issue. If the IOS wasn't written to NVRAM then it would all be lost when you rebooted the device. I am sure a Cisco qualified person will be able to confirm or debunk that.

Very pleased that it is all working and ever so effing surprised that I helps solve a Cisco issue. Knock me down with a feather. Click image for larger version

Name:	faint.gif
Views:	10
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	466847
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Karma spread all over biggles, case closed! Rock on biggles!

Comment

Working...
                    X