cisco core switch - ipbase vs lanbase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cisco core switch - ipbase vs lanbase

Trying to work out exactly what I need here, and can't find a suitable model.

- 802.1q
    - 802.1q trunking
    - inter-vlan routing / L3 routing
    - gigabit, 24 port
    - non-poe

as a core switch.

I keep seeing the 3850s, I'm just not sure which model or which IOS is te best fit
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: cisco core switch - ipbase vs lanbase

dear tehcamel

the features as you mentioned are almost exists in all L3 capable switches.

If the switch required for core level as you mentioned, I suggest WS-C3750X-24T-S will be the good one with ipbase image.

Comment

I endorse kris_amar's suggestion. My setup uses 3750G devices throughout, 24 + 48 port devices, some stacked, some single. And they do it all. The 3750X is the replacement spec for those.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

thanks guys. I looked at the pricing for that.. i don't know how well that will go down

how does it compare to the sg500x ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

After reading some of Cisco's datasheets about the 500-series switches, they sound like a pretty good deal. I've had experience with the older CE500 (Catalyst Express) model of switch, and while that works as advertised, there was one glaring issue with it: the ONLY management interface was their web-based GUI. The device's OS has no provision for a CLI at all. These newer ones use a web-based GUI by default, but there is apparently some sort of CLI or text-based config option available. Whether that's an add-on or not isn't clear.

If you're not using 10Gbps uplinks between your core switch and any distro or access switches, it also appears that you may not need the SG500X, you could get away with just the SG500. That decision will be down to budget and future planning. Just don't buy one with a 'P' in the model name and you won't get PoE, which you stated you didn't want anyway.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

thanks mate

I think there was ar eason I was looking at the 500X over the 500, something it had that the 500 didn't, but not 10G (which isn't useful at present.)

if the SG500 is anything like the SF300, it should have an inbuilt CLI - it's not quite a full featured as IOS, and the command set is also a little different, but it's quite workable.

(this site already has a fleet of 6 SF300s, so the SG500 is maybe a better fit anyway)

Comment

Working...
            X