Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cisco 3550 PoE Switch - Uplink won't come up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 3550 PoE Switch - Uplink won't come up?

Afternoon all,

Came across an odd one this afternoon, a client has a 3550 PoE switch running all they're VOIP phones, the phones connect to the switch fine but the uplink port won't connect to another switch or router the port stays down and won't connect. I changed the router as the original was really flaky and cannot get the PoE switch to uplink to the new router... it was originally using port 1 on the PoE switch but I tried an few other all with the same result.

I would guess that the ports have a specific config on them but am unsure what to look for, any ideas?

Oh, please go easy on me, its not often I configure Cisco equipment...

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by QuattroDave; 9th April 2014, 17:42.

Re: Cisco 3550 PoE Switch - Uplink won't come up?

What sort of "uplink" port are we talking about here? One of the Fast Ethernet ports, or a gigabit port? And in case it's the latter, are we talking fiber or copper?

Have you looked at the configuration?

Comment

Sorry, yes I should have mentioned that...

Using FastEthernet Port 1 as uplink via copper Ethernet cable, I've also tried a different cable...

No I've not had a look at the config as I really wouldn't know what to look for...

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Have you tried connecting something else to that port, just to rule out a defective or "shutdown" port?

To be honest I'm not sure the FastEthernet ports on those switches support Auto MDI/MDI-X. Have you tried using a crossover cable?

You can dump the active switch configuration to the console with show running-config, while show ip interface brief should tell you the status of each port.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
          To be honest I'm not sure the FastEthernet ports on those switches support Auto MDI/MDI-X. Have you tried using a crossover cable?
          Thanks for your reply, ahhh that rings a bell, I'll be on site tomorrow so I'll try and crossover cable. If it doesn't work then I'll post the config.

Thanks

Dave

Comment

could you post:

sh run (specifically, the config on FA1)
            sh int summ (specifically, for FA1)
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Apologies for the late reply, thanks for all your suggestions on this one. Just to close it up, thanks to Ser Olmy I used a crossover cable and it all works just fine!!

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X