No announcement yet.

Fiber Connection Between Cisco Switches

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber Connection Between Cisco Switches

I'm trying to connect a 2924C to a 2960G. Port Gi0/23 on the 2960 to Port Fa0/24 on the 2924 via Fibre optic connection. LC to SC (LC on the 2960).

Fa0/24 on the 2924 is 100, full. I tried setting the interface to auto but it's not possible, so 100, full duplex is the only option on that interface. It's a built-in fiber port (SC) not a GBiC.
    This model 2960 has multiple trunking ports: Gi0/23 has a copper port and a fiber port. I'm using the fiber port with a GBiC (LC). The port seems to be set to 1000 full. I've set the media type to SPF but I can't seem to set the interface to 100, nor can I change the negotiation to auto - I don't even see a setting for duplex, not that I need to do that.

The link shows down down on both sides. (LED's are off on both ports)

My question is this: Does anyone know if the WS-C2960G-24TC-L's fiber ports can be configured to 100 full, or possibly auto? Obviously with one is at 1000 and the other at 100 they won't play nice, so I thought to ask here to see if anyone could help. Frankly I'm a little surprised that I can't find an option to set the interface on the 2960 down to 100 full. Is it the port hardware that determines the capablities? the type of GBiC or the IOS? (for example would changing the GBiC give me more options in the IOS? Maybe a different version IOS would have the speed option?)

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not looking for information on how to upgrade older hardware - I already have that information. Only thing that would be helpful right now is being more certain about the configuration possibilities of the gigabit port on the 2960.

Re: Fiber Connection Between Cisco Switches

Fiber ports only support one particular speed (and fiber type). The limitation lies in the tranceiver itself, and that's why you cannot change the speed by altering configuration settings.

A gigabit fiber port can only communicate with a port of the same speed, and using a tranceiver of the same type (multimode vs. single mode).

Hah! This is an old post I just saw. You were right Ser Olmy. I actually got some GBICs and solved the issue Although that was awhile ago, thanks for tthe help anyway.