No announcement yet.

Vlan setup by port/ Qos

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlan setup by port/ Qos

I would like to find out what I would need to do to setup a switch inline with my existing Netgear Pro Safe RP614v4 router. I need to have vlan capability as well as QoS preferably by both port and address. With a network of 4 computers iMac, 2 Macbook Pros, and a Lenovo Laptop.

I need to separate the iMac and one Macbook Pro from the other two. Is there a switch that you can recommend that would have this capability and be compatibly with my existing router?

Re: Vlan setup by port/ Qos

After scanning thru the manual for your router, I don't think a switch, by itself, will get you where you want to be. Your existing router doesn't understand VLANs, so can't govern traffic handling for different subnets on it's own.

You'll want either a managed switch which can do VLANs/QoS and another router, or a switch smart enough to operate at Layer 3 itself. Is this for home or business? Switch makers tailor for multiple price ranges, but you'll have to match up your needs at each step.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Re: Vlan setup by port/ Qos

Cisco SG300, running in layer3 mode might acheive the aim.
      Going to be difficult though, if you want full separation of networks..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point