• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Between Cisco and Server

Hi all, i have a router with these vlans configurated

Vlan 6-12, lans
    Vlan 100, 200 Wan pool

and i am trying to connect the router to a virtualizator ( who have a DHCP server, GW, Etc ) can i connect it between a trunk link ?

Thanks!

Re: Trunk Between Cisco and Server

Sure you can, provided the OS on the server supports 802.1q tags. Many do.

If you're running VMware of Hyper-V, there's an option to connect a virtual network to a specific VLAN. This will cause frames from the virtual switch to be tagged as they exit the physical NIC.

Comment

Hi again, Can you help me with the configuration of the router? Thanks!

Comment

Sure, but I'll have to know what kind of configuration you need. Are we still talking about a trunk between a router and a server running a hypervisor?

Comment

itīs no exactly a server running hyper, but yes i wanna conect it to a trunk port.

Again thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FedSini View Post
            itīs no exactly a server running hyper
            What exactly is it?

What is the router you want to connect it to? Is the "server device" literally connecting directly to the router, or is there a switch in between?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Itīs a Exsi server, and i want to use the vlans to connect to VMs. Thanks!

Comment

It's a simple matter of creating subinterfaces on the router and assigning an IP address and a VLAN number to each interface.

Let's say you have the router interface GigabitEthernet0/1 connected to the ESXi server, and you've put the virtual ethernet interface of a VM in VLAN 5. Assuming VLAN 5 is using the 192.168.5.0/24 network, the router interface should be configured as follows:
                Code:
                interface GigabitEthernet0/1.5
                  encapsulation dot1q 5
                  ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0
                The interface command creates a virtual subinterface called GigabitEthernet0/1.5, and the encapsulation command specifies the VLAN number. The router will now be able to route packets to the 192.168.5.0/24 network, and packets to that network will be sent out GigabitEthernet0/1 using 802.1q VLAN encapsulation and VLAN number 5.

As you can see, subinterfaces are identified by a number that's appended to the name of the host interface using a period/dot, and in this case the subinterface number happens to correspond with the VLAN number (5). You can actually use any number for the subinterface identifier, but most prefer to use the VLAN number to avoid confusion.

Comment

if i configure GigabitEthernet0/1.5 like you said, it will be configure like access in vlan 5 ? but i canīt be able to configure a vlan inside the Esxi with another vlan address, i am right? How i can configure it to allow some vlans connections

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by FedSini View Post
                    if i configure GigabitEthernet0/1.5 like you said, it will be configure like access in vlan 5 ? but i canīt be able to configure a vlan inside the Esxi with another vlan address, i am right? How i can configure it to allow some vlans connections

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but the configuration above will connect the subinterface GigabitEthernet0/1.5 with an ESXi Virtual Switch in VST mode using VLAN ID 5. The command specifying the VLAN number is "encapsulation dot1q 5".

To communicate with anothe VLAN, create another subinterface with a different name and a different VLAN number. You can create as many subinterfaces as you need.

Comment

sorry for my bad english, i want to configure this

--- VM vlan 2
                      Cisco ------------ Exsi --- VM vlan 3
                      --- VM vlan 4

The interface between cisco and esxi server should be trunk?

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, that's correct.

Since you have 3 VMs in VLANs 2-4, you'll have to create 3 subinterfaces on the router. Assuming the host interface is GigabitEthernet0/1, the following should do the trick:
                        Code:
                        interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2
                         encapsulation dot1q 2
                         ip address <address2> <netmask2>
                        interface GigabitEthernet0/1.3
                         encapsulation dot1q 3
                         ip address <address3> <netmask3>
                        interface GigabitEthernet0/1.4
                         encapsulation dot1q 4
                         ip address <address4> <netmask4>
                        The addresses for each subinterface will obviously have to be in different IP networks.

On the ESXi side, each VM must be connected to a virtual switch in VST mode.

Comment

Hi, i will check this tomorrow. Thanks for you help!

Comment

Working...
                          X