Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy running config to starup config isn't working

Please help.

I am trying to copy my running config to my startup config and I get this error.
    Do I need to create a file first to copy it to?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Console> (enable) copy running-config startup-config

477516 bytes available on device bootflash, proceed (y/n) [n]? y
    error = -9

Can not open source file bootflash:running-config (file not found)
    Can not copy from bootflash:running-config to bootflash:startup-config
    Console> (enable)

Re: Copy running config to starup config isn't working

Hi 1pcman,

What device you are working on?
    To copy config you usually need to be in the privilege mode, you can go there by typing "enable" and enter. After that your command line should look like this:
    console#

Comment

Hello. I have a old Cisco 2948-L3.
      I am in privilege mode and just am not getting any luck. This is an "OS" system not an "IOS" system. I need to break down and find me a good deal on a newer switch!

Until then, I want to learn what I can and backup my data.

Originally posted by tAnk View Post
      Hi 1pcman,

What device you are working on?
      To copy config you usually need to be in the privilege mode, you can go there by typing "enable" and enter. After that your command line should look like this:
      console#

Comment

This sounds like the same switch as another post regarding 'compressed' files in the bootflash. Since this new item is also in conjunction with the bootflash, I'd start suspecting a hardware fault, with system or bootflash memory.

Either xmodem or tftp everything from the bootflash to an external store, then wipe the bootflash, and reload the minimum necessary files to reboot the machine, and see if it comes up in a working state.

Assuming you get that far, put in a couple of changes to the running config and try to save it. If it still errors, it's a brick.

Was this switch working previously for you, or is it a recent acquisition?
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

CatOS doesn't have a "copy running-config startup-config" command (or "write memory", for that matter) because all changes are immediately committed to flash memory.

I believe the 2948G-L3 can be upgraded to IOS, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. The switch is fairly ancient.

Comment

Thanks for the information about the memory!!!!!!!!!
            I checked up on it and it can't be updated to IOS.

Know any good websites to by a good used one?
            A guy at work rec-amended a 2950.

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
            CatOS doesn't have a "copy running-config startup-config" command (or "write memory", for that matter) because all changes are immediately committed to flash memory.

I believe the 2948G-L3 can be upgraded to IOS, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. The switch is fairly ancient.

Comment

A 2950 or 2960 would do you well. The design may be a bit dated, but they're pretty reliable, and they just work. Using our buddy , do a serach using 'cisco 2950 2960 prices', and look at the ads down the right side of the page. Get your credit card out!
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X