firewall switches & win-8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firewall switches & win-8

can u tell me what firewall switches will work fully with a computer using windows 8 I know most only work with windows 7 well the program that runs it and only a few work somewhat with windows 8 I like to know before I go and buy one that ether don't work at all or just somewhat I hope someone can help me on that. ifso if there isn't I can wait till one come out thanks oh I am a home user well we have like 4 computers using diffent os
    Last edited by Autistic62; 26th June 2013, 00:32.

Re: firewall switches & win-8

It shouldn't matter at all.

i'm assuming you are talking about a home-based switch or router.

in which case - even though they don't specifically say they support windows 8, you manage them through a web browser.

All the elements at the low down network level work the same. The firewall doesn't even have any real understanding of what OS is on your laptop.

(Of course - some consumer-grade devices come with these dinky "setup" cds - that software may not be compatible. but i'd suggest steering away from them anyway)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

that is what I meant the program that runs it not the firewall itself so let me re ask that is there a firewall program for a firewall switch they cisco, linksy, netgrear that works with the windows 8 os out yet if yes what ones do work with win 8 I know if the program don't work or parts of it don't work with wins 8 it wont be able to really protect the computers
      Last edited by Autistic62; 26th June 2013, 20:47.

Comment

If you're talking about SOFTWARE based firewall program that runs on your computer, then I don't run one on my windows 8 laptop. I use the inbuilt windows 8 firewall, which does an effective enough job for a home user.

If you're talking about the software programs that some vendors provide, to allow you to "easily" setup their hardware based modem/firewall devices - I don't know sorry. You'd need to specifically look at each vendor's product.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

yes I looking at the
          [B]PROSAFE 8-PORT GIGABIT VPN FIREWALL FVS318G by
          netgear someone said that one the program will work with windows 8 well he said some of it will and some of it wont so is that the only one that will well somewhat work with windows 8 so what I like know is are they working on a patch of somekind that will work with windows 8 or not the page that firewall is on is at well guess it wont let me put link to that page its on netgear.com I see it on sale at walmarts for $116.29 but it says its reg price is 194 bucks its the Netgear FVS318G-100NAS ProSafe Firewall - 8 x 10/100/1000Base-T LAN, 1 x 10/100/1000Base-T WAN but not sure if that is same one as the one at top of post so what is diffents between the 2 is the fvs31g-100nas a newer one from the fvs318g thank you for all help u giving me I not m=know much about that stuff as u can tell but as I said I don't know much about them we do online banking pay credit cards on line ect ect so u can see why I like to get one them to help protect our computers and network never mind that they both same one only walmarks say reg price is bit over 190 bucks sale bit over 116 bucks and best bud say reg price is bit over 136 on sale for like bit over 121 bucks and they both have diffent sayings as I copy and pasted them on here as u can see shhh very confussing when they have 2 way off reg prices for a item and diffent sayings no wonder I thought they was diffent
          WALMARTS SAYING =Netgear FVS318G-100NAS ProSafe Firewall - 8 x 10/100/1000Base-T LAN, 1 x 10/100/1000Base-T WAN

BEST BUYS SAYING =NETGEAR - ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall Router FVS318G
          Last edited by Autistic62; 27th June 2013, 17:47.

Comment

PROSAFE 8-PORT GIGABIT VPN FIREWALL FVS318G
            This is a hardware device. Should not matter what OS the client is running at all. The firewall doesn't care if its a Windows box, Mac, Linux etc. It only looks at layer 3info and up depending on what type of filtering/inspection is done.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be a software gui client to help in the configuration of the device or a software vpn client. This may only work on certain platforms etc..
            Last edited by auglan; 27th June 2013, 13:57.
            CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
            CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

I have an FVS318G at a client site.
              They have a mix of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mac devices.

None of them have any problems at all traversing that firewall to the internet.
              It can be managed using a web browser form any of those computers.

Comment

oh cool when I get money I can go buy it ok thank u for the info that was a very big help
                I give u all 10 thumbs up and 3 smiles and 2 wines and a bowdown
                hope u enjoy my wine lol again thank u so much for the great help
                Last edited by Autistic62; 28th June 2013, 14:08.

Comment

Working...
                X