Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why IP address assign to BVI Interface in Wireless access points?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why IP address assign to BVI Interface in Wireless access points?

Hi,
    I have read the above thread many of the forums but couldnt get a clear answer on my question.

My question is why we assign IP on bvi interface in wireless access points why not on gig interface or why not we create a VLAN and have an ip address assign as we do in the case of switches.

I am new to networking and would be thankful for clarity

Re: Why IP address assign to BVI Interface in Wireless access points?

I know that as it is a Layer 2 device the ip addresses can be assigned only to Virtual interfaces.

But my question is why we cant assign the way we assign in a switch i.e. assign an ip to vlan instead of assigning to BVI.

Comment

The BVI stands for "Bridged Virtual Interface". With wireless AP's you are bridging the wireless traffic between your wireless vlans and the local lan subnets. The BVI interface also has to have an ip address on your "native" vlan subnet, whatever that may be. Since cisco ap's only have layer 2 interfaces then the BVI is necessary.

If you assign an ip to a vlan interface, any traffic between the different subnets is no longer bridged, it is routed. You also can only bridge non ip traffic on cisco switches. (IPX, IPV6 on older platforms)
      CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
      CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Cisco's answer:

In general, bridge groups create segmented switching domains. Traffic is confined to hosts within each bridge group, but not between the bridge groups. The switch forwards traffic only among the hosts that make up the bridge group, which restricts broadcast and multicast traffic (flooding) to only those hosts. Bridge groups relieve network congestion and provide additional network security when they segment traffic to certain areas of the network.

Refer to Bridging Overview for detailed information.

In a wireless network, bridge groups are configured on the wireless access points and bridges in order for the data traffic of a VLAN to be transmitted from wireless media to the wired side and vice versa.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
        X