Can't connect sslvpn to ASA after adding ssl licenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't connect sslvpn to ASA after adding ssl licenses

I have an ASA 5510 version 8.2 and set up the Anyconnect SSLVPN which has been working fine. I just purchased and installed the key to open up 10 SSL licenses instead of the 2 that came with it. Now, when a person tries to connect with their Win7 PC they get an error that says:

"Warning: The following Certificate received from the Server could not be verified:"

After the message there nothing else in the window but an "Accept" and "Disconnect" button. If I click on Accept the same message keeps popping up.

I can successfully connect with an XP client, this is only happening with Win7.

I am no router expert and would really appreciate any help from anyone who has experienced this issue.

Many thanks!

Re: Can't connect sslvpn to ASA after adding ssl licenses

Are you connecting via clientless or client based? Did you generate a self signed certificate and associated trust point? Are you using a trusted certificate or are you using the ASA default certificate and trustpoint?

If using clientless then what browsers are you using? Are the windows 7 machines 64-bit?

Post a show version
    Last edited by auglan; 24th August 2012, 18:53.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

I am using an AnyConnect connection. I have never issued any type of certificate, just used the defaults for everything.

This seems to be a Win7 issue. XP is working the way it always has. I can't even browse to the ASA using https:// on a Win7 PC like I can with XP. I used to be able to before I installed the license. Now I get a 'page can't be displayed' error. I added the site to the trusted sites and it still doesn't work.

Comment

If you never setup a self signed certificate then its using the system generated certificate. When the ASA reboots it re-creates a temp certificate to use. This can cause issues as with each reboot a new certificate is generated. I would at least generate your own self-signed cert.

Create your rsa key-pair

(config)#crypto key generate rsa label SSLKEYS

Configure your trustpoint

(config)#crypto ca trustpoint SSLTRUST
        (config-ca-trustpoint)#enrollment self
        (config-ca-trustpoint)#fqdn sslvpn. mycompany.com
        (config-ca-trustpoint)#subject-name CN=sslvpn.mycompany.com
        (config-ca-trustpoint)#keypair SSLKEYS
        (config-ca-trustpoint)#crypto ca enroll SSLTRUST noconfirm

Apply trustpoint to your interface

(config)# ssl trust-point SSLTRUST outside

When done I would also reboot the ASA

Comment

Ahhhh!! Totally makes sense because I had to reboot the ASA after I installed the license.

Thanks so much! I will give this a try.

Comment

Dont forget to save your config before rebooting.

Comment

lol. That's one thing I always remember to do!

Thanks again.

Comment

If this doesn't fix the issue then at least you rule the certificate out.

Comment

I did all the steps using ASDM and when I select the certificate under the SSL Settings and apply I get the error 'The 3DES/AES algorithms require a VPN-3DES-AES activation key.' Is this something to be concerned about?

I still tried to access with site with my Win7 computer and have the same error. Also I didn't restart the ASA. Won't be able to do that until tonight.

Your thoughts?

Comment

Hmm sounds like you dont have a 3des-AES license on the ASA. You can get one for free from Cisco. Just have to apply for it and they send you the key via email.

You do need a cisco login (free) but you don't need a support contract. Just google "free 3des aes license cisco.

Comment

I checked the ASA and the license for 3DES-AES was disabled. I got the key and installed it and once aqain can connect to the VPN (with the certificate warnings). This is without any of the certification changes I tried (I didn't save them to the startup config and restarted the ASA over the weekend).

So now, if I set up the certification information again, I assume the certification warnings I get when connecting the VPN will go away?

I have another question. My ASA came with 250 vpn peers, and 2 ssl vpn peers. I had people that could not connect and when I checked there were already 2 people connected via ssl. So both anyconnect and clientless vpn use ssl? What type of connection uses the 250 vpn peers?

Comment

The certificate warnings you where getting should go away. The users may still get a warning that the certificate could not be verified which is normal as its a self signed cert and not from a trusted CA. The 250 vpn peers is for ipsec vpn's. Yes the anyconnect client and/or the clientless use SSL.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for educating me on this. I appreciate your time and help with this.

Take care!

Comment

Working...
                          X