Connecting two Cisco WRT54G

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting two Cisco WRT54G

I hope I can explain what I am trying to do without sounding stupid. I have two wireless routers both WRT54G's one of the wireless routers is in my office connect to the internet. The office is detached from my home, the distance between the home and office is about15 feet. I have wireless equipment in the house and from certain areas of the house I can't connect to the wireless router in my office (dead spots). Now I have another WRT54G router in a bedroom. In that bedroom there is a computer in it and that computer is hard wired to my office router. The bedroom router is not connected to anything at this time.

What I would like to do is be able to use the wireless equipment in the house and have them connect to the wireless router in the bedroom and then connect using the cat 5 cable back to the router in my office. I want to connect the computer in the bedroom to the bedroom router and use cat5 cable back to the office router.

I want both router to function with cat 5 and wireless.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks Tony
    Last edited by Dumber; 5th August 2012, 19:39. Reason: font size adjustment

Re: Connecting two Cisco WRT54G

So it sounds like you already have a cat 5 cable from the bedroom out to your office. If that is the case you can take the other wireless router in the bedroom, put it in bridge mode, give it a static ip on your office router subnet and set the default gateway to the office router. Pretty much your using the bedroom router as a bridge. Then just plug the cat 5 cable from the office router and plug it into one of the routers lan ports. Then just plug in your pc to another lan port. Your pc should get dhcp from the office router. You can keep wireless turned on the bedroom router and just use the same ssid and WPA key as your office router uses.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
      So it sounds like you already have a cat 5 cable from the bedroom out to your office. If that is the case you can take the other wireless router in the bedroom, put it in bridge mode, give it a static ip on your office router subnet and set the default gateway to the office router. Pretty much your using the bedroom router as a bridge. Then just plug the cat 5 cable from the office router and plug it into one of the routers lan ports. Then just plug in your pc to another lan port. Your pc should get dhcp from the office router. You can keep wireless turned on the bedroom router and just use the same ssid and WPA key as your office router uses.

Yes i do have cat 5 out to the office. That sound great I will try that and let you know what I find
      Last edited by Dumber; 5th August 2012, 19:39.

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post

Auglan I tried going through the set up but i am a little confused. first my office router is in the gateway mode. I see where if you have multiple router you need to be in the router mode. I can't get to completely work I had the bedroom router working fine. I didn't change anything on that router just plugged in the cat 5. The bedroom computer got on the internet and the wireless was working too. It was still DHCP

In the office, it was messed up. I could receive email and I could ping thought the office computer, but could not send email or bring up any websites. It acted as if I was off line.

Could you tell me where I must set the static ip address? Am I setting STATIC on both routers? Reading some, it says to put the router connected to the modem in the router position when you have multiple routers on the network. I am a little confused. It has been a while since I did this and you help is greatly appreciated
        Last edited by Dumber; 5th August 2012, 19:40.

Comment

Working...
        X