Connecting Switch to Hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Switch to Hub

Hi guys please help i have a catalyst 2960 48 port switch, i want to connect it to a hub...but im failling please help....

Re: Connecting Switch to Hub

Why are you connecting it to a hub? There is no reason in the world to use hubs anymore.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

OK what is the solution for this? there is a computer lab with 30 computer...only 20 can connect to internet and visible on the workgroup, and 10 computers cannot be connected to internet nor workgroup...so i wanted to connect a cable from switch to one network point that is workng and connect a hub so that i can connect the 10 computer but i really dnt get it right.

Comment

do you actually want a hub, or do you want another switch?

It should be as straight forward as connecting the new network-device to the port you mentioned.

Of course, it's possible the upstream Cisco 2960 may have MAC restrictions or similar.. or vlan tagging..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

eish im not that gurry in IT, can you maybe give me instruction on how to go about...bcoz i tried to connect switch to switch with a cross-over cable and it connect for 1 minutes and disconnect again...

Comment

If you must use a hub (There really isn't a reason why though) Crossover cable from switch to hub. If the link is failing look at the logs on the 2960 to see whats going on.

If switch to switch, and want to carry information for more than one vlan, then it must be a trunk. (On cisco switches - Tagged ports on HP stuff). For just one vlan then it can be an access port.

Can't really tell whats going on as I dont know if its a switch to hub, switch to switch connection. Are both switches cisco switches?
            Last edited by auglan; 10th July 2012, 12:03.
            CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
            CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
            X