Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi wan set up on a 2811 router

Hi,

I found a 2811 router on a shelf when I started with this company almost 4 years ago, so I am sure the IOS is old, I have been able to reset the unit back to defaults and remove all passwords, per a great article on here.

My question is can I make this a multi-wan router, I have 6 DSL modems connected to a multi-wan appliance that is no longer supported or manufactured.

Is there a way to use the HWIC 4ESW card as WAN inputs and use the to built in interfaces for outbound LAN traffic?

If so, I can add an additional 4 port card to pick up the additional modems?

Is load balancing and failover available?

If none of this is available, any suggestions as to what can do this?

Mark

Re: Multi wan set up on a 2811 router

That module only support's layer 2 ports. You can't create routed ports from those switchports. You can however create your layer 2 vlans and then create Layer 3 SVI's for routing. Not sure if those SVI's would support a PPOE connection or not though as I think it has some limitations. Here is what I found from cisco:

Each switch port can be assigned to its own VLAN, effectively providing four additional routed ports. However, there are serious performance and feature limitations to doing this. The VLAN interfaces are truly Layer 3 switching interfaces and are treated uniquely among interface types on the router. Many features are not supported or tested on these interfaces, including Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPOE) termination, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol Version 3 (L2TPv3) termination, MAC address assignment, Layer 3 QoS, and others. You should carefully test any desired feature and solution prior to deploying it.

You may be better off with something like the HWIC-2FE which gives you true routed ports.
    Last edited by auglan; 5th July 2012, 20:53.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
      That module only support's layer 2 ports. You can't create routed ports from those switchports. You can however create your layer 2 vlans and then create Layer 3 SVI's for routing. Not sure if those SVI's would support a PPOE connection or not though. This module was really made for intervlan routing within the LAN and not over a WAN.

The modems would handle PPOE connections, and DHCP an IP address to the router
      Last edited by Shark_Feeder; 5th July 2012, 20:52.

Comment

If thats the case it may just work but that module will only give you 4 Layer 3 SVI's.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info on the other card, however I am limited to only 1 of the dual port cards, so I am back to 2 wan connections, or can I use the 2 builtin ports for layer 3 support? then again that only gives me 4 total connections.

Since creating the SVI's would probably not provide any load balancing/fail over options it's probably not going to work, anyway i slice it.

Comment

Yes you can use the built in interrfaces but one would have to connect to the lan so at best you have 1 remaining for a PPOE connection. Even if the SVI's where to work that still doesn't cover the six DSL connections. The HWIC-2FE cards are not cheap either.

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
              Yes you can use the built in interrfaces but one would have to connect to the lan so at best you have 1 remaining for a PPOE connection. Even if the SVI's where to work that still doesn't cover the six DSL connections. The HWIC-2FE cards are not cheap either.
              Is anything cheap with the Cisco name?

Is there any product or device that can handle what I am looking to do? Cisco or other brand?

Comment

From a cisco perspective you just need a router that has a bunch of ethernet interfaces. You will not find that with the 2800 ISR's. With that platform your limited with the amount of WIC slots the platform has and also the max throughput on the chassis etc. You can check on cisco's site or contact a local rep to see if there is a single platform that will do what you want.

Comment

Thank you for your assistance, it has been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                  X