hardware for interfacing channelized T1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware for interfacing channelized T1

Hi Everybody. My first post here, and my first time asking for a hand with my cisco gear. I thank you all in advance, and hope you can help me. I have an interesting setup, a 30 km dedicated channelized T1 between my internet provider and my location. I am using Cisco C2600 gear at each end, with high speed serial, external 3rd party channelized T1 converters to interface to the T1 line.

I have to stick with this T1 circuit, as it is provided free of charge, and there is no local internet provider available.

I am wondering if there are any Cisco provided interfaces that are compatable with my C2600's that would provide a more elegent solution. I have tried the WIC 1DSU T1 card, but it is not channelized, as I understand, and my T1 circuit does not want to interface to it.

Before I go much further, I figured I would ask somebody with a bit more experience in this. I probably wont need help in configuring the card, I just need to know which card Cisco has that will interface with this circuit, and give me the 1.544 I need out the other end. I can probably figure it out from there.

I am hoping I can find a Cisco solution here, as I am having alot of fun playing with my Cisco gear.

Thanks very much,

newby Randy

Re: hardware for interfacing channelized T1

Never configured a channelized T1 but this may be what your looking for. I would get with the provider for recommendations as well or another option would be to talk with a local cisco partner or even call cisco TAC to get a recommendation.

http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-l...su-p-3954.html
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Thats why I posted my query here. I have seen that, and looked at the config for that unit. It might be what I need, but all the config examples Cisco suggests for that unit are for channelized operation, that I could find, with seperate data streams for each channel, though I could have missed something. I am looking to combine the bandwidth of this T1 to the ethernet port, utilizing all the ds0's. It almost looked like one of their ISDN adapters would do the job, but I am not sure it would interface to my T1 either. The external stuff I have does it without issue, but there has to be a better way.

I have a standard North American telco T1, 24 timeslots, b8zs linecoding. The equipment at either end has esf framing. Signalling is inband.

Newby Randy

Comment

Your post is confusing as you initially said it was a channelized T1 but then in the last post you say its a standard T1. How is it cabled now?

Comment

Sorry about that. To me a channelized T1 IS a standard T1. 24 ds0's, or timeslots. I come from a telco background, hehe.

Right now I have the ethernet coming into the 2600, out a high speed serial card to an external serial to T1 converter, piped out to my location, and then the reverse take place.

I am just figuring that Cisco must provide a card or adapter to do the same thing. I tried a couple of WIC 1DSU T1 cards, but they dont seem to want to interface because they are not channelized, I think.

I was aware that there is such a thing as a non channelized T1, I just have never dealt with the equipment before, and as the WIC cards are cheap at 10 bucks each, experimented with them.

Newbie Randy

Comment

Yeah alot of networking terms in the data world and telco world mean different things for some reason. I think of a channelized T1 as you have a single T1 "physical line" but the ability to carve out channels for different applications. You could use 15 channels for data and maybe the rest running into a pbx system for voice. So channelized to me (and Cisco definition)means that the channels are further subdivided.

The WIC1-DSU-T1 should be what your after though. It contains an internal CSU/DSU so you dont need one from your provider. You can plug directly from the smart jack into the WIC card, setup your controller configuration on both ends and you should be good to go. It sounds like your are using an external CSU/DSU from your provider. (Adtran is a popular one I see alot)

Example config:

Interface serial 0/0
            service-module t1 clock source internal
            service-module t1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
            service-module t1 framing esf
            service-module t1 linecode b8zs
            ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
            no shut
            Last edited by auglan; 28th June 2012, 12:34.

Comment

OK, thanks for that. I'll keep working on it. The setup you provided is pretty much what I have, with the exception that I set one end for recovered timing.

I am interfacing to a widebank 28. When interfaced, the widebank 28 shows linecoding alarms. I have set both widebank and cisco to b8zs, but also tried ami, with no success, always get linecoding alarms. And of course, no connectivity with the far end. The cisco WIC DS1 T1 card shows an alarm too. what command can I run to see what alarm is currently on the card? I expect it will also be linecoding failure, probably.

Newbi Randy

Comment

Should be:

show controller t1

or

show service module

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80093c56.shtml

Comment

Thanks very much, guys, the WIC 1DSU T1 card did the trick, I just needed to stick with it. Problem in the end was me. I figured that since I was talking to equipment on the T1 interface that was only a few feet away, that I would need the lbo's set for max attenuation. In the end, they were set to none, and came up working perfectly.

This was an upgrade from a 2500, and a 1000, both with external serial to T1 converter gear. Much nicer now with a 2600 at each end.

Thanks again for the hand,

newbi Randy

Comment

Glad you got it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X