Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to set up 1 2501 router, 2 2950 switches, and pix 515e firewall, basic setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to set up 1 2501 router, 2 2950 switches, and pix 515e firewall, basic setup?

Hello, I want to set up a basic lab for a one time project.

This is what I was thinking:

computer->Router -> firewall e0 -> switch 1 -> DMZ(just a web server for now)
    ..............................firewall e1 -> switch 2 -> inner network(office comps)

Now this is NOT going to be connected to the internet in any way, it is going to be all within the same LAN. I usually go with 192.168.1.0 and 205.7.5.0...but that's probably not that important.

My questions:

first of all, will this setup even work? it doesn't need to be great. All I want to do is to do some scans on target machines, and set a couple new rules on the firewall. I'm worried about the comp to router connection, I just need it to connect to the network and I don't have another switch. I suppose I could always disconnect things and move them around to show another scenario.

secondly, what special configurations(RIP, trunking, etc...) might I need to do for this setup?

I do have another router if needed but ONLY ONE crossover cable, I do have a serial cord for the routers if I need that.

Re: I want to set up 1 2501 router, 2 2950 switches, and pix 515e firewall, basic set

The problem I see is that the 2501's usually have only one ethernet port and its usually the old style serial ports (AUI) that require a ethernet transceiver. Also depending on the IOS version on there some won't allow serial interface. I would think about maybe getting a 2620XM with dual fast ethernet ports.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Re: I want to set up 1 2501 router, 2 2950 switches, and pix 515e firewall, basic set

Originally posted by auglan View Post
      The problem I see is that the 2501's usually have only one ethernet port and its usually the old style serial ports (AUI) that require a ethernet transceiver. Also depending on the IOS version on there some won't allow serial interface. I would think about maybe getting a 2620XM with dual fast ethernet ports.
      Haha, people keep telling me that but this one actually has two AUI ports. I have all the transceivers that I need too.

I will upgrade at some point.

The jist of what I am asking is: If I just configure ips/subnet/gateways for the equipment, should I just be able to plug and play? Including the pix firewall and switches.

Comment

Yeah I dont see any problems getting that to work. Also I made a typo on my last post, I meant to say the 2501 doesnt support sub-interfaces (I said serial interfaces)
        The pix doesn't support subinterfaces either. You can however trunk multiple vlans on the pix (requires 6.3). Here is a link on that.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/secu...html#wp1113411

Nothing cisco is really plug and play. The issue you may have with the pix (depending on the version its running) is that older pix software requires nat translations for traffic moving between interfaces. Just be aware of that. I think no nat-control became available in Pix 7.0. If you have that or later then nat is not required but ACL's are required going from a lower security interface to a higher.
        Last edited by auglan; 25th April 2012, 01:38.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
        X