General routing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General routing question

Hello! I'm trying to setup a router on my network to route traffic through to an internal device. I've got a pretty decent understanding of networking but there is something I am missing to get my setup to work.

I'm trying to route traffic like this:

Gateway(Comcast business modem) --> Cisco 881 router (Static IP) --> End device(Citrix server)

I've got a static IP route-able IP for the router. I need to pass traffic through the router to one specific private address and no other address.

Right now I've got the WAN interface setup correctly with the right IP and I can ping it. I've setup a Vlan with an IP of the private address of our network and I can ping that through the WAN interface.

What I need now I guess is to figure out how to point all traffic coming in on the WAN interface to route to a given IP.

Thanks!

Re: General routing question

Since yo are trying to get public, routable traffic into a private network, you'll need to configure port forwarding. I would suggest you only forward on specific ports and not expose the server entirely.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Thanks, I can definitely port forward as needed.

I am eventually setting up Citrix Access gateway. I haven't got that far though.. Just figuring out how I would get the traffic where it needs to go.

Comment

You will need an access list entry permitting traffic from the outside to the server (acl will have your public ip address)

access-list 100 permit ip any host x.x.x.x (your public ip)

Lock down the access list to only the specific ports you need

Then you need a static nat statement to translate the public ip to your private range. Once again narrow it down to specific ports (tcp etc)

ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.20 X.X.X.X (X=your public ip)

You could also just specify your outside interface it you have only 1 public ip

ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.20 interface fa0/
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Great info! That's what I am looking for. I should also mention my private addresses are class c addresses. 206.22.X.X, so they should be route-able within my network. They are not however real addresses.

Not sure if that will change anything. But I'll go ahead and try these instructions.

Comment

Actually 206.x.x.x is a class C address but its not part of the private address ranges per the RFC.

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
            Addresses: 16,777,216

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
            Addresses: 1,048,576

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
            Addresses: 65,536
            CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
            CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

I have a netowrk where I am using 02 Cisco 3945 router to connect to my 02 3750 switch with complete redundancy so I need some suggestions regarding configuration

Comment

Working...
              X