Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a Cisco 3750 switch in a stack

Hello,
    I have an existing stack of three Cisco 3750 48PS-S switches in a stack. I want to remove the third switch and replace with a 3750G 48PS-S. This will allow gigabit speeds to my servers. The IOS version on the stack is currently 12.2(35)SE5. The IOS on the new switch is 12.2(50)SE5. Can someone let me know what needs to be done to accomplish this? Thank you.

Re: Replacing a Cisco 3750 switch in a stack

Typically with stacking the IOS version needs to be the same (very close) between the switches. Different IOS versions sometimes use a different version of the stack protocol. I would upgrade your stack master to the latest IOS version and then attempt to add the new switch as a stack member.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Does this mean that I would need smartnet on this switch in order to get the updated IOS? To upgrade the stack master, would I need to console into it since the the stack acts as one device? Sorry, I'm just learning how stacks work and this stack is set up as the gateway for all vlans. I've been searching and some people say to just add to stack and power on and the new switch will be provisioned automatically. I don't think that it will be that easy. I backed up config and IOS on stack and will do the same for the new switch. I have not upgraded or downgraded an IOS before so that is why I asked for help here. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Yes you would need a smartnet contract and a CCO login for cisco to download an up to date IOS for the master.

Here is a link explaining how the switch stack works. You dont have to console into it, you could upgrade the IOS via telnet/ssh.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...807811ad.shtml

You could try adding the new switch to the stack but since the IOS version is different you may run into the situation where you get some errors.

Stack State Machine View
        ================================================== ============

Switch Master/ Mac Address Version Uptime Current
        Number Slave (maj.min) State
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        1 Slave 0016.4748.dc80 1.11 8724 Ready
        2 Master 0016.9d59.db00 1.11 8803 Ready

3750-Stk# show switch
        Current
        Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1 Member 0015.c6f5.6000 1 Version Mismatch
        *2 Master 0015.63f6.b700 15 Ready
        3 Member 0015.c6c1.3000 5 Ready
        Last edited by auglan; 3rd February 2012, 18:11.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
        X