Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to configure Cisco 1841 to route IP traffic between 3 Networks

Dear All,

I have a Cisco 1841 router with one 4HWIC installed on router and I need to configure this router to route IP traffic between 3 Networks. The details are as below;

LAN-1: 192.168.0.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0
    LAN-2: 10.115.66.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0
    LAN-3: 10.4.70.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0

I configured FE 0/0 builtin routing interface for LAN-1 and created 2 VLANs for other two LANs as VLAN10 & VLAN20 on 4HWIC and assigned LAN-2 to VLAN10 and LAN-3 to VLAN20. Now everything is working properly. But after 30-40 minutes PCs on LAN-2 are showing disconnected to router as I cannot ping the devices in LAN-2 from LAN-1 and after 10-15 minutes, it start working again. I have changed cables, checked Duplex & Speed etc but with no success. LAN-3 is connected to a separate switch but LAN-1 & LAN-2 are connected to a single switch and the devices are working properly in each LAN with communication to their Local network.
    Any solution or sugestion will be highly appreciated.

Re: I need to configure Cisco 1841 to route IP traffic between 3 Networks

Post split from someone elses thread. Please do NOT hijack threads.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks...But this thread is originated from me...Yeh! I posted it somewhere else with a different username as I'm a learner...

Comment

you probably didn't need to be using the vlans.. the networks are already separate subnets.. so start with just getting routing going, without worrying about the vlans for now.

do you have any route entries in your config ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks a lot...tehcamel
          But how to enable routing on ports of 4HWIC without VLANs...?

Comment

I don't think you can. If I remember correctly, the 4 port HWIC module you are using is a layer 2 device (switch), so you would need to create an SVI (vlan interface) for each subnet and then assign the individual ports on the HWIC card to the corresponding vlan in order to route between subnets. Sounds like you have already done this in your configuration.

Based on your problem description, I would suggest increasing the logging level on the router along with increasing the logging buffer to see if there is a problem occuring when the hosts drop off the network. After setting up logging, simply type "show logging" to see if an event was logged that might point you in the right direction on trying to isolate why hosts connected to the 4-port HWIC card are no longer working. If you have a syslog server on your network, then configure logging to send to the syslog server. By doing so, you are not limited to viewing events sent to the internal logging buffer.

Comment

Dear scowles Thanks a lot for a Serious & Effective Reply... I'll return back to you soon after implementing your suggestion to trace the actual Problem...

Comment

Dear Mr. scowles, & Allz

After a detailed look of the problem, I came to the point that there are some problems in IP Addresses overlap. One more very important thing I noted that the LAN-2 (The problematic one) is connected to another VPN router also and is accessed from three different location over the Internet by using UltraVNC. As I described in my first post, The LAN-2 becoming unavailable to LAN-1 after 30-40 minutes and after a break of 10-15 minutes, it is working again as normal. At the time of unavailability, the devices inside this Network (LAN-2) also creating problem to connect each other. Mean the internal communication and connection to the remote clients via UltraVNC is remain unavailable for LAN-2.

(It seems complicated & confusing to describe...)

Comment

thanks.it really good

Comment

Working...
                  X