L2 switch loop in a big network???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 switch loop in a big network???

A tricky question - please help me out providing your views/ans..

How would you identify a L2 switch loop in a big network? Imagine there are many L2 switches in a big organization each connected at different floors. By mistake an user connected an ethernet cable over the switch ports back to back creating a loop. This would eventually make the entire network stormed with broadcasts bringing it down.

The scenario has no STP running on the nework. How can we identify immediately where the loop is instead of searching for the port physically on each floor which is time consuming. let me know if you any commands or troubleshooting technique that we can easily simplify and find out the problem.

thanks

Re: L2 switch loop in a big network???

tbh.. this sounds like it could be almost a homework question.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

@tehcame: is it ur habit....??????

Comment

Now now lets keep it civil please.

Why is STP not turned on???

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/148467

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ci...ient=firefox-a

Comment

@wullieb:I am new in my company.....I really do not know...why stp was not turned on.

Comment

Ask your network administrator?
            Or consult the documentation?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Ask your network administrator?
              Or consult the documentation?

You guys are here to give advise like this...........................or try to give the meaningful comment??

Comment

yes, we're here to give advice.
                And most of the time, we try.
                We're all here of our own free will, and we give our time and expertise willingly, and for free.
                If you're not happy with the service that we give, as volunteers, then you can feel free to request a refund on the cost of the service we provide.

I'm not speaking for everyone else, but personally, I find it hard to offer help to those who don't actually seem to do too much to help themselves. This actually extends beyond my participation on this forum, into both my personal and professional life.

I find it even harder, when I've put that aside, and offerd suggested and solutions to people, that, ok, fair play, require the original requestor to do some more research to fully develop and ensure that it meets that persons' individual needs, and they ignore that, or ask for step by step information.

All that said,

Why don't you tell us what you have tried to do to isolate the fault so far?
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I am not expert like you................I am the beginner..Thats why all these question are popoing out.........
                  and you are giving me advise like this......(someone say its a home work .....someone says,,,,consult ur documents................).
                  My point is ....you are giving ur valuable time for this blog to solve the problems.......whatever i have the issue ...i put down in the question.
                  So please if you know the answer plz give me ..it will really helpful for me..if you do not know..then leave ....it....

Comment

Have you followed any of the suggestions on your other thread:
                    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/175184

Since there you say "imagine...", it strongly suggests this IS a homework question, or at least not related to a live network as you imply here.

Note my suggestion about consulting documents / other staff was a highly practical response to your "I don't know why something isnt configured" -- someone else probably does.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Have you followed any of the suggestions on your other thread:
                      https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/175184

Since there you say "imagine...", it strongly suggests this IS a homework question, or at least not related to a live network as you imply here.

Note my suggestion about consulting documents / other staff was a highly practical response to your "I don't know why something isnt configured" -- someone else probably does.
                      Thanks....................for giving me the advise and ...solution of the problem.
                      This means.....u r looking everywhere.....................what i am aksing ...i follwed or not................good work by the way.
                      I am wasting my time because i have problems.......................not here only .....on many blogs to get some ideas................................but i saw ur ideas...............thanks alot
                      Last edited by sandeepchoudhary; 22nd August 2011, 13:18.

Comment

Working...
                      X