No announcement yet.

HSRP with two different vlans..

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSRP with two different vlans..

i have a topology as show in the diagram... the network part in the rectangle is the new bit that i need to add to allow load balancing/ redundancy in the networ,... all the switches are Layer 2 managed switches (2950s and 2960s) and are pointing to R1 as their default gateway... i have to add R0 (new router), configure HSRP on router 1 and router 2 for load balancing.. (dont know if we can use glbp on 1921/k9 modular router).

currently i have only one vlan which is shared by Users and servers spread across the LAN network. i will make two vlans, one for users and one for server,..

as we have to configure 2 hsrp groups for load balancing which means two different virtual ip addresses.. and i can only assign one of them as the default gateway for the users and servers.. so dont know what to do .. any help please.. i will really appreciate... this default gateway thing is pissing me...

thanks for reading
    Attached Files

Re: HSRP with two different vlans..

Cisco catalyst switches running IOS 12.2 and higher support MHSRP (Multiple HSRP). This allows you to assign multiple paths to different groups. Here is a link to the Cisco article.

Try and see if this setup works for your devices. As a personal side note, based on your diagram, you seem to be load balancing routes to two different ISPs. You may want to look at a look balancing appliance that would handle this more efficiently then HSRP.

Just my $.02

ps. My apologies if I missed your point on the issue