No announcement yet.

4006 w/4515 12.2(25) ??'s

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4006 w/4515 12.2(25) ??'s

I'm stumped, not a cisco guru in any means. I have a working environment, so of course that means to change it

The one thing I really like about Cisco, you are constantly reminded of how much you don't know

What I have now for my dev network
    2651M with adsl wic (doing all pppoe auth) with an inside ip of
    Network is single BC domain with all systems pointing to as the DGW

What I want to do is add a 4006 with Sup IV and a handful of vlans. I know how to create the vlans (at least I think so) but how do I setup the link between the 4006 and the 2651? Will I need to change the subnet on all the current devices on the network? from the examples I have seen it appears that because the will now become the DGW for the switch, that the devices will have to be on a different vlan...

Now to complicate matters (at least in my mind) the 2651 has several static nats to allow incoming ports, if the devices are now on a different subnet, if I change the static nats to reflect the new subnet will the inside interface pass them on to the correct vlan on the switch? Will I need to change the router port to a trunk port and if so how badly will that break the pppoe dialer pools on the router

I have tried setting the DGW to, an access port to a vlan and the devices on that subnet can get through the router but then no other vlans can talk to it, however they can talk to eachother

The 4006 is running IOS 12.2(25)EWA14 and the router is running 12.4(25c)

Re: 4006 w/4515 12.2(25) ??'s

I can give some advice but not answer all your questions.

Essentially you are creating a router on a stick configuration, to support this you will need to create sub-interfaces on your router. You can see configuration examples on cisco

This example actually uses a 2600 series router so will be accurate from that perspective at least.

Each vlan will have it's own subnet and own default gateway. You will have to re-address and re-NAT as required.

Hope this helps.

Re: 4006 w/4515 12.2(25) ??'s

Thanks for the response!

I had seen the router on a stick example, but was wanting to utilize the routing capabilities of the Sup IV. I found the issue and have a working environment. Here is what I ended up doing. I changed the subnet of the 2651 inside interface to a different address scope and as a /30. I then added a route statement directing all traffic to a layer 3 port on the 4006 that was on the same /30 subnet. I had to change the access-list on the router to reflect the address space I am consuming for the vlans. Everything is working great. The reason I did not go with the router on a stick concept was the concern that the 2651 only has a fastethernet interface and almost all of the endpoints are gig. I was concerned that a bottleneck would occur with all traversed vlan trafic sharing the fastethernet interface on the router.