Adding a second ISP circuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a second ISP circuit

I have the following Cisco hardware setup with a single ISP connection.
    1) Cisco 2821 Integrated Services Router
    2) Cisco 5520 ASA
    3) Cisco 4510 Core Switch

How would I add a second ISP so any one ISP or hardware failure would not bring down internet connectivity?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Robert

Re: Adding a second ISP circuit

i think it kind of depends on where your ASA sits.

if I take that out of the equation, I'd do following:

Add a second relevant (H)WIC to the 2821, and configure the interface
    make sure it comes up, and works correctly, as you expect it to. (shut the normal interface when this testing is taking place)

Then, use something like IPSLA (quick, dodgy guide) to handle the failover. someone who knows more than me, and more than how to just parrot other people, will be able to help you further with this if it doesn't work.

I assume you'd then probably put your ASA between the 2821 and the switch.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The ASA is behind the 2821 router. The problem is if I just rely on BGP on the 2821 router, if that fails both ISP circuits are out of business.

I'm looking for something that will cover Internet service with any hardware or ISP outage?

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Comment

if you want to cover both ISP AND hardware failures, then you'd need two 2821s...

i didn't mention anything about bgp at all.. mainly cause i don't know anything about it.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

ok... so i now have two 2821's and a single 5500 ASA firwall. the ASA is still a single point of failure. Is there any way around this without purchasing another ASA. I need the Firewall for security. I'm thinkiing of using HSRP on the links between the two 2821's and the ASA.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
          X