No announcement yet.

Network Design Tutorial

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Design Tutorial

Can someone please explain to me briefly some confusions I have over Cisco networks design technology, different products & terminologies used and in general, switching & routing concepts in a corporate IT environment. Just think of me as a newbie in networking
    I will just ask a few questions at first, so that I do not confuse myself & others. maybe the rest after I get a hang of the subject.

What is a Core switch? An Edge switch? Distribution switch or Access switch?
    Is an Edge switch the same as Distribution switch? I understand Cisco has a proprietary 3-tier architecture for these kind of network designs. But still confused as whole on this subject.
    What do you actually mean by a Core/Edge design in a switched network? Why is it preferred over a traditional cisco switched design? Is it only used for the reasons of scalability & better management?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Network Design Tutorial

A core switch sits at the core of your network. basically, you'd have a layered design,

for instance, you might have a network consisting of 4 floors in a building. each of these floors would have siwtches, which lead back to the core switch, with whatever redundancy you want in between.

to put it more in context, a distribution switch would be on each floor of the building, it has computers directly connected.

so now, you've gotr 25 computers on the first floor, plugged into a distribution switch, same on the second floor etc. These switches tie back into the Core switch.

Edge switch, I'm not so sure - I think of edge more in terms of firewall technology.

you should be able to find heaps more information in this - i've only got a very basic idea.

basically, even using the 3-tier architecture, it's still switching technology. 3-tier architecture is more just a way of effectively developing the network for redundancy and controlling traffic etc

i think backplanes come into it a bit as well - rather than having 100 computer on a single backplane, it spreads the load over more
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Thanks tehcamel.
      Can we have some more input on the topic from other members as well. I would like to read as much possible on the topic. Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have time right now to investigate further for you, but perhaps you could try finding your answers on Wendell Odom's blog?