Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting switches using fiber optic

hi all
    I want to connect two building that are 20-25 km away from each other using single mode fiber optic cable. each building has small lan with Cisco Switch.

does anybody tell me what is maximum distance of single mode fiber optic and if fibe optic covers distance is smaller for example 10 km then do i need other switches in middle for expanding network

regards
    forbs

Re: connecting switches using fiber optic

Originally posted by forbiddenforest View Post
    hi all
    I want to connect two building that are 20-25 km away from each other using single mode fiber optic cable. each building has small lan with Cisco Switch
    For small offices, is it really worth the expense of running your own cable compared to putting in an Internet connection to each building and setting up a VPN connection?

does anybody tell me what is maximum distance of single mode fiber optic
    Yes, Google tells you.

if fibe optic covers distance is smaller for example 10 km then do i need other switches in middle for expanding network
    Yes, if you want a run that's longer than the maximum supported length, then you would need switches, repeaters or other suitable equipment joining each segment. With single mode fiber you should be fine, but again, this is something you could easily find out by yourself.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=single+mode+fiber+distance
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

thank you very much for your kind guidance

Comment

25km of dedicated fibre? I would LOVE to have your IT budget! (and your contacts with highways departments etc)

If you need fibre, get your telecom to lay and manage it, and take care of repeaters etc.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X