Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit the upstream on a Cisco 877?

Hi All

I would like to limit the upload/upstream on our Cisco 877 with it's ADSL connection. I basically want to stop it being flooded with data and latency going through the roof.

What is the best way of doing this? I've never dabbled in this side of things before. I have tried this but it isn't working. Not sure if this is even the best method that I am attempting?

Code:
    policy-map InternetOut
     class class-default
        police 300000

interface ATM0
     no ip address
     ip virtual-reassembly
     no ip mroute-cache
     no atm ilmi-keepalive
     pvc 0/38 
      encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
      dialer pool-member 1
     !
     dsl operating-mode auto 
     service-policy output InternetOut
    Thank you!
    Shell

Re: Limit the upstream on a Cisco 877?

Also just tried this (decided to try to limit to 200000 here...). Still no effect.

Code:
    interface ATM0
     no ip address
     ip virtual-reassembly
     rate-limit output 200000 37000 75000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
     no ip mroute-cache
     no atm ilmi-keepalive
     pvc 0/38 
      encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
      dialer pool-member 1
     !
     dsl operating-mode auto

Comment

Ok. So I have progress, I think.

I have changed the policy to use 'shape average'. I have also applied this to pvc 0/38 under atm 0 instead of atm 0 itself, and I think it's working.

Unfortunately (I am loving the learning curve here ) this effects acks etc too so latency is going through the roof still because things still can't get out. D'uh! Stupid on my part here for not realising that before. Of course it will if I am just limiting everything..

Any tips on how to stop this?

Ultimately my problem is this.. We have a box from our mobile provider which boosts the local 3G signal and then sends it over the internet instead. This is struggling as the upstream is often flooded and latency goes through the roof. Part of the problem is that I do not know what protocols/ports this is using (have asked and am awaiting a reply, if they can give me one).

Thanks
      Michelle

Comment

Hi again

Ok, this is going to be fun I feel. I have heard back from the mobile provider who has explained the mobile 3G signal booster which then takes traffic over the internet using an IPSEC VPN tunnel for it's main data (plus a bit of ping and NTP traffic on the side). We have an IPSEC VPN running ourselves too though from this router to our other site. I only want to give one of these VPNs (for the mobile phone/3g traffic) priority.

Thank you!
        Shell

Comment

Wish I could help. I've got an 877 but I've not looked at throttling

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X