Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant access my domain from the inside

Hello all,
    I'm new here as you can see and hope to be active and help and not only get help.

My current problem is regarding my domain.
    I own a domain name XX.com, it is forwarded to my fixed IP at home.
    When i try to access my network from outside (XX.com\owa) for instance there is no problem,
    When i try from the inside network it is not working!!!!
    Pings are good and working to the domain from the inside also,
    It's only from the inside of the network that i try to access (to URL) and get errors.
    If i try to access to OWA let's say, i write at the address bar srv\owa and it works (From the inside).
    (When srv is the name of the server which holds the exchange and owa)
    Someone once told me it's something with my Cisco configurations..
    I have Cisco SOHO 91

I would really appreciate help here..

Thank,
    Gal

Re: Cant access my domain from the inside

Sounds like it's a DNS failing. In your address bar, use the server's IP address rather than name and see what happens. If it works, the DNS queries inside the network for that box aren't working. A CNAME or A record entry is missing.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

It's actually more likely that your router is not passing data effectively from inside your domain to the front interface.

This is a not uncommon scenario that I've seen in heaps of locations.

The workaround insetad, would be to create an internal DNS registration that refers "mail.bla.com" to the internal CNAME for Server.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

when i do
        SERVER_IP\owa
        in the browser it works
        and when i do
        srv\owa
        in the browser it works (where srv is the NET-BIOS name of the server)

it is only when I put the full domain in the browser (from inside the network that it dosent work..
        domain.com\owa
        it's like the request is sent out and not coming back for some reason
        (using the domain from the outside works fine!)

Comment

I think it's a NAT issue, and I've only ever seen it with Cisco.

For home use, kit like Netgear and Linksys handles this okay but Cisco doesn't. I forget the detail, I looked into this a few years ago and I never got it working. Basically, the DNS resolution gives it the external IP address, and you can't go from inside to outside to inside.

Here's a thread from when I asked the question in 2009:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=38539

and from when I asked it in 2006

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...using-nat.html

Neither gave a satisfactory answer. The solution for me was to have an internal DNS entry, either in your internal DNS server (e.g. Windows DNS) or on the router itself if you're using it for DNS (using host ip entries). This way, a ping to www.mypublicURL.com will return 192.16..... instead of the public IP.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

it is only when I put the full domain in the browser (from inside the network that it dosent work..
            domain.com\owa
            Is this literally what you are entering? If so, this will not work, needs to be server.domain.com\owa

Comment

Working...
            X