High response time from Cisco switch to SNMP server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High response time from Cisco switch to SNMP server

I have a Catalyst 2960 acting as our DMZ switch in the network core. Lately it has begun to show very slow response time to our SNMP polling server (we use Solar Winds Orion NPM). The Solar Winds server is a VM that sits in the core along with the Catalyst. Solar Winds uses ICMP for node up/down status and then polls for SNMP information, so the response times are, I believe, ICMP echo responses. The odd thing is that I set up a constant ping from the Solar Winds server and let it run all weekend. On just plain ping responses, the Catalyst had an average response time of 2 ms back to the Solar Winds server; however, when responding to the Solar Winds polling engine, the average response time is up over 80 ms.

Of note, this is not happening with any other nodes, switches, firewalls, servers, etc. - only this one 2960 - so I don't think there's an issue on the Solar Winds side of the equation.

Any suggestions on what sort of logs or other data from the 2960 I could look at to see what would cause this behavior? It's a recent development - the switch has been running in the core as our DMZ for a number of months without any issues.

Thanks for any insight.

Sounds like it's either high memory usage or high CPU usage, if that device is your problem. Is the Solar Winds surfer on the same DMZ subnet as the switch in question, or is a router in between? Having even a 2ms ping response when they're supposed to be co-located, while not a glaring alarm, is something to look into. If they are on the same subnet, you've got a switching issue. If they're on different subnets, you could have either a switching issue or routing issue, or both. If you want to see about that switch's CPU usage, here's a Cisco link you should look into:
    http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs.../cpu_util.html

Can't find a similar link for t'shooting memory, but there are Cisco blogs about that. Try a search for 'cisco 2960 troubleshoot high memory'--the first few links are all Cisco sources. The commands are shown in the responses.

Let us know what you find.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X