Add Access vlan to SG300

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Access vlan to SG300

I have an SG300 that I need to allow access to vlan 30. I have tried the commands:

config t
    interface GigabitEthernet 21
    switchport mode trunk vlan 30

I have server hooked up to port 21 and I can not ping in or out on 10.10.30.18

The switch itself is 10.10.14.4 and serves the 10.10.14.0/24 network. I have a catalyst that does that routing and all other routing is working I am just testing this to try an move my server room to the new building.

No direct experience with SG300, but with devices like 2960, 3570, etc., you have to do 2 things to finish what you've started: assign the new vlan to a port for a client to use for access (you've done that), and define the vlan itself. if the new vlan number doesn't appear in the list of vlans defined on the device, your config command for adding the vlan # to the interface won't do anything. Looking at a screenshot for your model device I can see a 'VLAN Management' tab--does your VLAN 30 show up on that list?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Yes it does

Comment

Next step is to put an address of that vlan onto the router itself so it can talk to that subnet. Check your config for logical as opposed to interfaces (interface vlan 30 rather than interface fa0/1, for example). If it doesn't already exist, create interface Vlan 30 and assign an IP to it. That will be the gateway thru which anything in the vlan 30 address space will can talk to other subnets, and vice-versa. The SG300 (like any other Cisco kit) can only route to address ranges it knows about. If it holds an address in that range, it knows and can therefore route to/from that range.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X