No announcement yet.

Vsat and MPLS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vsat and MPLS

Hello , i have a problem to to configure Mpls and VSat in one router 2811
    and Mpls must be as first conecctivity and vsat should go to backup , any body know how to configure the router for solve this problem

Re: Vsat and MPLS

What exactly is the problem you're having?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Vsat and MPLS

So you want the mpls to be the primary and the sat to be the backup link? You could a couple of things. You could use floating static routes and enchanced object tracking:

ip route x.x.x.x track 1 (mpls default)

ip route x.x.x.x 10 (sat default)

ip sla monitor 1
      type echo protocol IcmpEcho x.x.x.x (next hop on mpls) source interface "source"
      timeout 50
      frequency 1

ip sla monitor schedule 1 lifetime forever start-time now

rtr 1 track 1

So this says if the next hop on the mpls is unreachable it will withdraw the mpls static route and the floating static to the sat link will come in the RIB.

or you can track the directly connected route to the mpls next hop

ip route x.x.x.x track 1 (mpls static)
      ip route x.x.x.x 10 (sat static)

track 1 ip route "connected subnet to mpls router" reachabilty

This says if the line protcol on the directy connected interface to the mpls goes down withdraw the static route.

The issue with this is that the "line protocol" must go down and the first way we just need to loose ip reachability to the next hop via pings. If you are connected to your mpls provider and there is a switch between you and the mpls router, then even if mpls goes down your line protcol will still be up and the failover will never happen. So just be aware that the second option depends on the line protocol going down in order for failover to occur.
      Last edited by auglan; 17th June 2010, 15:47.
      CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
      CCIE Security (In Progress)