RDP connection from ofice to home PCs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP connection from ofice to home PCs

I have 3 PCs, 2 running Windows XP Pro and one is Windows 7. They are all connected to a linksys wireless router WRT160N. RDP within the same network is working fine. From office, I can only RDP to one of them as i have configured the router to read its IP address. If i need to rdp to the other PCs, i have to change settings in the linksys router. My question is ' how do i setup the router so that i can RDP to all the 3 computers from my office ? '

Thank You

Re: RDP connection from ofice to home PCs

You should be able to use port forwarding on the linksys to allow this.

So for the second pc say the request comes in on tcp port 3390 forward that to the second pc's internal ip to 3389

For the third pc the request comes in on 3391 foward that to the third pc's internal ip to port 3389

From outside you network you would need to access it by using your public ip plus the port numbers

Example:

200.1.1.1:3390

When a request comes in on 3390 it should forwad the request to your second pc on 3389 and so on.

I think there is also a way to add a second listener port for rdp on the pc but I believe that will require a registry change.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

thanks so much for your reply.
      i have tried port forwarding and i dont know where i'm going wrong, may be port fowarding setup is not correct.
      i have changed the port number on one of the machine and i am unable to rdp to it from the office

Comment

Yeah you could change the rdp port on all the machines and it will work. The way I described avoided doing that.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Originally posted by salim71 View Post
          I have 3 PCs, 2 running Windows XP Pro and one is Windows 7. They are all connected to a linksys wireless router WRT160N. RDP within the same network is working fine. From office, I can only RDP to one of them as i have configured the router to read its IP address. If i need to rdp to the other PCs, i have to change settings in the linksys router. My question is ' how do i setup the router so that i can RDP to all the 3 computers from my office ? '

Thank You
          This might be silly, but you can RDP into the one machine and from there RDP into the others. I have to do that more frequently than I care to admit.

I'm not familiar with the 160N's UPNP NAT feature, but if it's like other LinkSys appliances with that feature try this. Look in the UPNP area and you should be able to map an external port to a different port internally. So port 3390 external can map to 192.168.1.10:3389 and external port 3391 can map to internal 192.168.1.11:3389. That way you don't have to change the RDP listening port on the internal machines.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

i am still unable to make that work
            can someone walk me through in setting up the linksys router to accept more than 1 rdp connection externally? or any website or link i can check and do it

thanks

Comment

Some routers don't let you map ports where the internal and external port numbers are different. No idea about Linksys since I've made a point of not going near them. It'll be obvious from trying it out on your device whether or not it's supported.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

http://www.pcwintech.com/port-forwar...nksys-firmware

The above is a tutorial on setting up a sing port forward. You could port forward 3398 on the outside to one PC on the inside. 3390 to another PC, 3391 to yet another. Etc.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                X