upgrade 3750 switch stack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade 3750 switch stack

We have many 3750 switch stacks and need to upgrade the ios on them. When we did this the last time it rebooted both at the same time. Is there a way to do this one at a time so we do not cause a network outage for the servers that are connected to them? I have not found any way to do this from searching cisco's website.

Re: upgrade 3750 switch stack

Switches joined in a stack are logically one switcth. You could use the reload slot "stack member command" on one but then you will have two switches with different IOS's which isnt compatible with stacking. If its a minor version mismatch they may be partially compatible but will show up with a verison mismatch and cant join the stack as a full member. Just upgrade the stack and reload. You should be doing this afterhours anyway to avoid any downtime.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

the issue is that we do not have an 'after hours'. We are a 24/7 operation and when we do ios upgrades it requires alot of prior planning and notification to many departments. It would be awesome to upgrade them without causing downtime.

Comment

Well the best thing I can tell you is the create a policy for when upgrades can occur and tell you users/managment about it. There will be some downtime but if the endusers/management know about it shouldnt be that much of an issue. I used to work in a call center and thats how we had to do it. Yes it requires planning and notification. I used to have to put in requests for this type of outage which sometimes had to have up to 15 days notice to get approved so I know where your coming from.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

I guess we will have to test setting up a temp switch to plug the redundant nic into it so we can upgrade the stacks an minimize downtime.

Comment

Working...
          X