Multiple WAN Range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple WAN Range

Ok we just had a new Fiber Ethernet package from ISP Installed. They gave me 2 ranges of IP and these instructions
    On your router WAN interface please use a default gateway/route of 74.x.x.21 and a useable of 74.x.x.22 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.252. On your router LAN side please use 98.x.x.98 through 98.x.x126 with a mask of 255.255.255.224 (/27) as you see fit. You will also need to write a default route in your router to the gateway of the /30 of your WAN. DNS cashing servers to direct your lookups to are 65.24.0.169 and 65.24.0.168.

How can I use both of those ranges, the first only gives me 3. Why didn't they just give me 1 usable range? I have a 2821 router. I do have a HWIC-4esw card in it. The ISP has a foundry switch that terminated the fiber and designated 1 port for internet.
    Last edited by Dumber; 1st May 2010, 20:19.

Re: Multiple WAN Range

I believe thats only one range.

Network 98.X.X.96 /27
    First Usable - 98.X.X.97
    Last Usable - 98.X.X.126
    Broadcast - 98.X.X.127
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

"On your router WAN interface please use a default gateway/route of 74.x.x.21 and a useable of 74.x.x.22 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.252."

this is what they said before they gave me the 98xxx range. which its obvious the only usable range is the 98xxx and the 74xxx just gives me 3 addresses. So could i put the IP on the WAN side of 98.x.x.x and still use the default route of 74.x.x.x?
      Last edited by Dumber; 1st May 2010, 20:19.

Comment

also, i only get 1 port from the foundry switch via copper handoff for the fiber ethernet.

Comment

They want you to use the 74.x.x.20/30 network on your wan side facing their switch.

This range only gives you 2 usable addresses:

74.X.X.21 - This is their interfacing facing you
          74.X.X.22 - This is your interface facing them

Then just a static default route to 74.X.X.21

The 98 range they want you to use on your lan side facing your internal network.
          Not sure why this is needed. Is this a metro ethernet circuit?
          Last edited by auglan; 30th April 2010, 21:18.

Comment

yes, thats how it reads to me, just curious how i would do it?

Comment

its from Time Warner Cable, its an ethernet fiber package. 3x3

Comment

Im just curious why they are telling you how to address your lan. When we had our metro setup we just peared with the providers switch and told them what subnets would be routed accross the link. I would cal them and clarify whey the 98 subnet.

Comment

yeah i am going to call them and see why i can't just have 1 subnet. Is there anyway to do it with the 2 subnets without adding another piece of hardware in between?

Comment

Is this for an internet connection? If so that other range may be your public ip range for your clients IE internal servers, nat pool etc.

Comment

yes its for an Inet connections, both ranges come off the same copper handoff, so i need to be able to nat that 98xxx range because those will have the most IP

Comment

Ok the 74 range is just to peer with the providers upstream router. The 98 range is for you local host public ip address space. So should just need to create a new nat pool with the 98 range.

Comment

Could you give me an example on how i would set that up? Here is my current setup(should look familiar..lol)
                          Attached Files

Comment

ip nat pool MYPOOL 98.x.x.x 98.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x

ip nat inside source list 1 pool MYPOOL

Check access-list 1 to make sure your internal subnets are permitted in that acl

Check your nat inside/outside on your interfaces etc

Probably have to change your default route to point to your new next hop.

Comment

my inside/outside nat on the interfaces shouldn't change correct, and by creating that NAT pool for inside source, allows me to create static nats from that list correct ?

ie ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 98.x.x.98 extended etc

Comment

Working...
                              X