DNS Config Issue with Cisco Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Config Issue with Cisco Router

I have a Cisco 2811 router and have been plagued with a problem lately with DNS. I couldn't find the issue so I reset the device to factory defaults and entered in the following command to be very basic.

IP address on int fa 0/0 (LAN)
    IP address on int fa 0/1 (WAN)
    IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next IP
    ip domain name mydomain.com
    ip name-server 4.2.2.2

I can get Internet access (web surfing) from the DC, but no other machine on the network. I can ping the gw from the router, resolve names via the router and the workstations.

The thing that puzzles me is why is the router being restrictive to the server only for web browsing and not other machine can get out? I have no acls in place.

Thanks in advance.

Re: DNS Config Issue with Cisco Router

Are the workstations configured for dhcp? If so are they getting the correct default gateway and dns settings? Is nat setup correctly to allow your clients ip's to be nattted.

I have no acls in place

If your using NAT you will need an acl in place to define what traffic is to be natted.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Re: Re: DNS Config Issue with Cisco Router

and do also check that weather your NAT is for one internal IP or its overloaded for pool. depending upon your requirement it can be changed to pool. and all computers will have their default gw of your router.

Comment

you mention that you can browse from your DC - could you tell me where the DC sits in this network.. ?

If there's no NAT as mentioned by auglan, I'm not sure how the DC can even browse anyway, unless it sits in FRONT of the router... ?

could you draw a mud map for us in paintbrush ?

At the moment though, I suspect auglan is correct, you have no NAT entries or ACL entries, allowing traffic to pass between or across relevant interfaces..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Agreed please post a full config so we can check it out. Remember to exclude relevant ip addresses passwords etc.
          CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
          CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
          X