Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Cisco (800 series) Problem - needs to be restarted frequently

Hi all Cisco experts,

I have a problem with a cisco router 800 series.
    this cisco device handles the ADSL connection to an ISP.

Every week, this cisco device lost connection to the ISP [the PPP, RXD ADSL, and TXD LEDs will off - will not blinking] 1-2 times.

To fix it, i need to restart the cisco device by turning off and on the power switch.
    Then it will work properly again, and all the LEDs will blink green.

Anyone knows how to solve this problem ?

Is there any Cisco configuration to detect lost connection and will automatically restart cisco IOS by itself when no connection detected ?

Please kindly help...

Regards,

Kevin

Re: Help on Cisco (800 series) Problem - needs to be restarted frequently

Are you able to log in to the router when the connection goes down via SSH, or a direct Console connection to the router?

If you can log in, try show log, show interface, and show ppp (there are several ppp show commands, experiment) and look for unusual things like traffic incrementing one way but not the other, or ppp issues. I assume you're using ppp because you mentioned the ppp light on the router. If that's not the case, you can ignore the ppp statements.

If you are using ppp, you can also run the debug ppp negotiation and debug ppp authentication commands.

If you're unable to get into the router when it's down, I would suspect a possible hardware problem.

Do you have a Cisco SmartNet contract on the router? If so, or if it's still under warranty, you can give Cisco a call. They can help you real time (minus the on-hold time waiting for a rep).

Comment

Re: Help on Cisco (800 series) Problem - needs to be restarted frequently

I am able to connect to the router via SSH when the dial-up connection goes down.

i've turned on the debug ppp negotiation and authentication on, and how to check for the log ?

is there any setting on the cisco router to self-check periodically, and when the dial up connection is down, the cisco router will initiate a restart automatically ?

Kevin

Comment

Working...
      X