use of cisco router instead of MS Window Server in LAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use of cisco router instead of MS Window Server in LAN

Hi dears,I am making lab in GNS3 just to know whether we can use cisco router itself as DNS/DHCP/NAT router in place of MS Window Server in LAN where PCs are configured to get IP and DNS address automatically,like we use MS ISA server.After configuring router,Virtual PCs get IP automatically from router & PCs can ping each other with IP address and also with their names.Also PCs & router can ping each other with their IP address but only problem is this that ping from router to PCs with their names & from PCs to router with its host name is not successful.I know y PCs can ping each other with their names because of "netbios over tcp/ip".Problem is for the router.Also if i configure router with "IP HOST" command then ping from router with host names is successful but question is that when u have suppose 30+ PCs and also DHCP enabled then i think we cannot use "IP HOST' command as PCs IP addresses are variable because of DHCP.
    If some one has done this lab in GNS3 or in real then pls give advice.I need to check whether it is because of GNS3 or some configuration mistake.thank u all..
    no ip dhcp use vrf connected
    no ip dhcp conflict logging
    ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.5
    !
    ip dhcp pool test
    network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
    dns-server 192.168.2.1
    domain-name stc.com.sa
    !
    !
    ip domain name stc.com.sa
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
    speed 100
    full-duplex
    !
    ip forward-protocol nd
    !
    ip dns server
    ip dns primary stc.com.sa soa ns.stc.com.sa zahid.stc.com.sa 21600 900 7776000 86400
    !
    Yet I didnot configure NAT....
Working...
X