Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 3524-XL-EX to 3524-XL-EX to via Fast Ethernet

All,

I've got an urgent requirement to connect a new switch to an exisiting one for user connectivity. We dont have any GBICS to conect via Gig so I just want to connect via fastethernet to the time being.

I take it all I need to do is patch the two switch into each other and disable STP on both ports. I tried this with a stragith through cable but could not get a link. Shourly these switches will auto sense and switch if necessary.

Do I need to force full duplex and speed 100.

Hopefully this is short term untill I get the correct fibre cable

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Cisco 3524-XL-EX to 3524-XL-EX to via Fast Ethernet

I know it sounds stupid but have you checked config of the ports if they are administratively shut down. Have you tried two other ports in case of H/W problem with one of the ports? Can you paste some debug and some config. Did you check the console alerts? Is CDP enabled?
    You can config etherchannel to compensate the missing gbics.
    Last edited by alexbg; 20th November 2009, 20:08.

Comment

Had a quick look at the specs and the ports are not auto sensing so you need a cross cable.

Comment

Hijinxx is right. I cannot remember but if this switch cannot deal with auto mdix you should use crossover cable which should work for sure. Just in case you can try entering "mdix auto" command in interface mode and see if it is working or look for the command in running config.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply guys.

Ggggggrrrrr - Thanks Hijinxx. I'll hunt out a cross over cable.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

or make one?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X