Wake-On-Lan over WAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake-On-Lan over WAN

I have been trying to send the WOL magic packet over the WAN to wake up the computers in the remote office. I put the following config on our Cisco 2600 routers but it doesn't work as expected.

ip forward-protocol udp 60000

Did I miss anything?

Re: Wake-On-Lan over WAN

Do you have a server at the remote office? If so what I'd do is remote to it and use a program like Wake On Lan Gui to wake them up from the local subnet.

Never tried it with a Cisco, but I have got WOL over the internet to work. You need a router that supports subnet directed broadcasts I.e. you need to be able to make a static mapping between MAC address and IP address on the router.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

To use a WOL program from the remote subnet is not a problem. What I am trying to accomplish is to send the magic packet udp 6000 over the WAN. So I can control WOL from one single location.

Comment

Then you need to give every PC you want to wake up a static IP, your router must support subnet directed broadcasts, and you need to create a static ARP table on the router with every MAC address mapped to the appropriate IP address.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X