Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco and Trunking

Hello,

I have not done configurations on swithces in a while and I need some help for an upcoming project. My team wants to confiugre two Cisco 4948-10GE switches with what they call 5GB trunks. We will be using this to connect our ISP router to our internal switches for an Exchange and OCS R2 implementation. I assume this means setting up VTP and assigning certain ports to the vlan. However, how does the vlan know to use all the ports to have the full bandwidth of 5GB? Does the vlan automatically "load balance" between all the available ports or what else needs to be setup to allow for that to happen?

Re: Cisco and Trunking

Do you mean 10GE uplinks?

It sounds like you will have various VLANs running on your switches and you want to uplink the two 4948 switches together. In this case you would use the 10GE ports to uplinks and configure 802.1q/ISL trunking.

Is this what you mean?

You could always use Flexlink which will provide an active and backup uplink.
    Infrastructure Architect
    CCNA, CCNA Security, MCSE, JNCIS

Comment

No, I am not talking about the uplinks between the switches. Those will use the 10GE uplinks as usual. I may have the wrong terminology, but they were mentioning creating 5GB "trunks" from the two switches to the 3 HP Blade Chassis'

We have 3 HP chassis' populated with blade servers and they need to get connected to the network with more bandwidth to support the Exchange and OCS software. So, I can only assume that my team means that each switch will have multiple connections to the HP chassis'.

Each port can do a max of 1GB, correct? So to get 5GB, can we somehow get 5 ports to act as one? Does that even make sense?

Comment

You're probably thinking of link aggregation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80a36439.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Comment

Link Aggregation....that's it. OK, how would I go about setting that up? Do you have experience with that?

Comment

IDK. I don't have any experience with it, I just know what it is. If I'm not mistaken Cisco calls it either Link Aggregation or EtherChannel. If you go to their web site you should be able to find the configuration guide for your model.

Comment

There are a few options when it comes to Etherchannels. There is Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP/802.3ad), Port Aggreation Control Protocol (PAgP - cisco proprietary) or manual Etherchannels.

If your blades and OS support 802.3ad then I would recommend this as its an automatic creation of Etherchannels but you will need IOS 12.2(25) or later.

Have a look at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/swit...l#wpmkr1040260
              Infrastructure Architect
              CCNA, CCNA Security, MCSE, JNCIS

Comment

Working...
              X