Extended Ping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Ping

Hi everyone, Can anyone let me know how to use the extended ping features like strict,loose and timestamps with an eg.My confusion is what should be my source route when i use strict or loose mode. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Re: Extended Ping

Does this help?
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk36...80093f22.shtml
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Sorry Dumber,

I didn't get the required information from the link which you posted.Can u please explain the functions of record,loose,strict features in the extended ping with an eg.Awaiting your response at the earliest.

Comment

Did you READ the link posted?
        IP header options. This prompt offers more than one option to be selected. They are:

•Verbose is automatically selected along with any other option.

•Record is a very useful option because it displays the address(es) of the hops (up to nine) the packet goes through.

•Loose allows you to influence the path by specifying the address(es) of the hop(s) you want the packet to go through.

•Strict is used to specify the hop(s) that you want the packet to go through, but no other hop(s) are allowed to be visited.

•Timestamp is used to measure roundtrip time to particular hosts.

The difference between using the Record option of this command and using the traceroute command is that, the Record option of this command not only informs you of the hops that the echo request (ping) went through to get to the destination, but it also informs you of the hops it visited on the return path. With the traceroute command, you do not get information about the path that the echo reply takes. The traceroute command issues prompts for the required fields. Note that the traceroute command places the requested options in each probe. However, there is no guarantee that all routers (or end nodes) process the options. The default is none.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

I got the information but ping was unsucessfull.My topology is like R1 conncted to R2 through serial(192.168.10.0/30) an i have a loopback ip 2.2.2.0/24 configured on r2.So if i try to ping the loopback from r1 extended ping strict feature witha source route 192.168.10.2(R2's ip)ping was unsuccessfull.Whether i neeed to configure any other commands to work this feature Plz let me know.Thanks in advance for your reply.

Comment

Working...
          X