Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can this be done? extend a subnet across a Router?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be done? extend a subnet across a Router?

Am I crazy or is it possible to extend a subnet i.e 10.1.0.0/16 across a router? By this i mean having devices physically located somewhere else connected to main network through a VPN tunnel be part of the 10.1.0.0./16 subnet. We are considering this idea for a remote LAN we are setting up. We know this idea will mean increasing the broadcast domain but we are ok with it.

Our curent connection now is we have a LAN 10.1.0.0/16 and this LAN has a Cisco Concentrator 3000 (VPN device) that we are using to establish a VPN tunnel with a Cisco 2800 router on the remote LAN. The remote LAN has a fiber connection thgrough our ISP so it's not point to point so why we are using VPN to connect to main network.

So my question is how do I configure it so devices in the remote LAN be on the 10.1.0.0/16 subnet? Is it possible?

Thanks

Re: Can this be done? extend a subnet across a Router?

I think routers were invented to overcome problems of switching over a WAN so you're going backwards here.

You can find an ISP that supports layer2 connectivity with some fancy switches, use L2TP or "VLAN tunneling" none of which I know anything about.

Comment

I've done this with integrated routing and bridging (IRB) over a point-to-point connection before. I don't know if it works over a VPN connection but you could look in to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
        I think routers were invented to overcome problems of switching over a WAN so you're going backwards here.

You can find an ISP that supports layer2 connectivity with some fancy switches, use L2TP or "VLAN tunneling" none of which I know anything about.

Thanks for responding....yeah, i agree with you that we are going backward with this idea but we are thinking of doing it because of a SAN situation between the two sites. I will check your idea to see if it can work for us.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          I've done this with integrated routing and bridging (IRB) over a point-to-point connection before. I don't know if it works over a VPN connection but you could look in to it.

Thanks for the idea. I will check it out and see if IRB is possible over VPN.

Comment

Originally posted by obs400 View Post
            Thanks for responding....yeah, i agree with you that we are going backward with this idea but we are thinking of doing it because of a SAN situation between the two sites. I will check your idea to see if it can work for us.
            If its for a SAN you could gateway between FC and iSCSI and just route it... either way if that's live data your applications will hate you.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
              If its for a SAN you could gateway between FC and iSCSI and just route it... either way if that's live data your applications will hate you.
              Yeah, it's live data. This other site is a disaster recovery center.

Comment

Working...
              X