router config for two different networks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router config for two different networks

I have a 2610XM router configured with two interfaces, each interface is connected to its own switch with a couple of PCs hanging off of each of them.
    The router interfaces are configured as two different networks-192.168.10.0 & 192.168.100.0.
    How can I get them to talk to each other?

Re: router config for two different networks

hello, probably adding a static route ? Try this if im not wrong, hope anyone that has more experience with cisco routers to help you.

#conf t
    #ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.1

Well considering that 192.168.100.1 is the ip of Fa0/0 or 0/1 Port.

Regards

Comment

No, that gives same result
      I can ping from the router out to my host computers but not from host computers to different interface
      Firewall diabled

Comment

You shouldn't need to configure any static routes on the router as both networks are directly connected to the router. The router knows about each network and knows how to route traffic to each network.

From a PC on one LAN, can you ping the router?
        Can you tracert to the router?
        Do the PC's have the router as their default gateway?
        Do you have any ACL's on the router?

Can you post your configuration from the router?
        Can you post the output of the "sh ip route" command from the router?

Comment

OK, I can ping everything on the networks, I set the gateway of LAN1 to the opposite router interface 192.168.10.1 as well as LAN2's gateway to 192.168.100.1
          So a recap-LAN1 network 192.168.10.0 GW 192.168.100.1
          LAN2 network 192.168.100.0 GW 192.168.10.1

Now I can ping everything. Now I have a Linksys router on the 192.168.1.0 network, how do I get Internet access since the gateways are changed on to hosts

No ACLs

Thank you for your time
          Attached Files

Comment

Either I've gone crazy or I've gone stupid or something's not right in your configuration.

1. How is it that Windows let you set the default gateway to be an ip address that's not local to the subnet? Windows should have issued a warning when you were setting the default gateway on the PC. When you set the default gateway on Dell2 to 192.168.100.20 Windows should have warned you that the default gateway was on a different subnet. Did you just click OK or YES on the warning message?

2. How is it that the pings traversed the router? The first step would have been for Dell2 to issue an ARP query for 192.168.100.20 (if it thought that 192.168.100.20 was on the local subnet, which it shouldn't have based on my point # 1). The ARP query would have failed as 192.168.100.20 is on the far side of the router from Dell2 and the ARP broadcast should not have crossed the router.

Do me a favor, post the output of ipconfig/all from Dell2 and DellDuo. Also run a tracert from Dell2 to DellDuo and vice versa and post the output here. Thanks.

Comment

OK,I did not get any errors or warnings changing GWs on the interfaces.
              tracert got back some good info, the pings loop back
              I attached what you requested
              Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm stumped.

The 255.255.255.0 subnet mask designates x.x.x as the network portion of the ip address. Therefore 192.168.10.0 and 192.168.100.0 are different subnets. Windows should have issued a warning when setting the gateways on each PC.

The tracert shows the trace going directly from one PC to another without traversing the router. The router should show up as a hop in the trace.

Are you sure you don't have the cables reversed? Maybe S1 is connected to E1/0 and vice versa?

Are there any other connections between the two sitches except through the router?

Comment

Dont know if u still need help but joe is correct that config could not work.Try using this config.

fa0/0

default gateway 192.168.1.1
                  net mask 255.255.255.128
                  comp address 192.168.1.126

fa0/1

default gateway 192.168.1.129
                  net mask 255.255.255.128
                  comp address 192.168.1.254

This will give you 126 usable addresses on each subnet which with this mask is 2 and make sure the interfaces are on the same subnet as the computers. You only need a routing protocol when you have 2 routers separating the computers

Comment

I have 1 router with 2 interface cards in it , each connected its own switch.

where should I be making these changes?

Comment

do this on your router

R1>ena
                      R1#conf t
                      R1(config)int fa0/0
                      R1(config-if)ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.128 (computer address for this interface is 192.168.1.126 with a mask of 255.255.255.128 )
                      no shut
                      Then while you are still in global config mode configure your fa0/1 interface
                      R1(config)int fa0/1
                      R1(config-if)ip add 192.168.1.129 255.255.255.128 (computer address for this interface is 192.168.1.254 with a mask of 255.255.255.128 )
                      no shut

make sure your switches have no configuration on them at all if they do just do a erase start and a reload command on them and that will clear them of most of the config on them.
                      Last edited by Mick463; 29th July 2009, 14:46.

Comment

OK Mick, we have connectivity

Question:would you know how to tie in Internet a this point

Thanks for all your help

Comment

u will have to hook it up through the router with a crossover cable and set up a routing protocol like rip version 2 and another sub network. Which means u would need another fast ethernet port or use one of your serial ports if you have them.

Comment

Thanks Mick

Comment

you could also use a static route between the two routers which would be easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X