Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlan Question on Cisco Switches

Hey guys, i want to ask something. Is it possible this senario:

I jave the backoffice connected in port 2 with a vlan 2, have a server on port 3 in a vlan 3, and on port 4-10 i have vlan 4. is it possible to make vlan 3 visible and accessible to vlan 2 and 4 ?

Kevin

Re: Vlan Question on Cisco Switches

Yes you'd need to put a router inbetween them or put the required devices in the same VLAN.

Comment

So what you are saying i cannot have one port with assigned to 2 different vlans correct ? i will need a router for the routing ? how will i connect them with the router ? i know that each vlan should have it's own ip range, like vlan 2 is 192.168.1.x and vlan 4 192.168.2.x is that correct ? sorry about these stupid questions but just going to start on this and want to know if it it possible when my switch gets to my hand.

Kevin

Comment

Typically each port would be configured as a static-access port belonging to only one VLAN. These ports will connect your hosts to the switch.

A router would be connected to a multi-vlan port and would carry and route traffic for all VLAN's. Each VLAN and the hosts connected to each VLAN would be configured using a different subnet (192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24, etc.).

Comment

Hmm so youre saying that i have to connect from port 4 that is vlan 4, a thernet cable to a router and a ethernet cable from port 2 that is vlan 2 to the same router and make the routing on the router for each subnet ? if so does it have to be a cisco router or can be a normal router ?

Kevin

Comment

No, you connect only one cable to the router. The switch port that the router connects to will be configured as a multi-vlan port so it will receive traffic for all VLAN's and route traffic for all VLAN's. You should be able to use any router.

Comment

Here's a document I found that explains it. Credit to the author of course.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey Joe thx for your help and your time and thanks to scurlaruntings , but doing this, vlan 2 and vlan 4 will see themself, what i want is vlan 2 and vlan 4 to see vlan 3 but not between vlan 2 and 4. this is like i have the backoffice where i cna control the servers on vlan 2, the game servers on vlan 3, and the players on vlan 4, what i need is vlan 2 and 4 to access the game servers to play. am i explayning correctly and is it possible ?

Kevin

Comment

You can set up access control lists on the router to disable any traffic between VLAN's 2 and 4.

Comment

In this case in the router in should not be vlan , but yes disable network acces between the subnets correct ? So in this case, Cisco switches dont have dhcp servers inclued in it, always need a router to give ip to that vlan, so for each vlan you need a dhcp router ?

Comment

No, you're confusing things.

1. Having the router allows traffic to get from one VLAN to another VLAN. This allows traffic from VLAN 2 and VLAN 4 to VLAN 3.

2. Having ACL's on the router allows you to block certain traffic from one VLAN to another. This blocks traffic from VLAN 2 to VLAN 4.

3. DHCP has nothing to do with the VLAN's. You can use a server for DHCP or you can use the router for DHCP.

Comment

Yes Joe thx for the details, anyway how can i DHCP different subnets with 1 router? i need one DHCP server for each subnet, so i need 1 router ou 1 server for each vlan correct ?

Comment

No. You need to configure the router as a DHCP-helper. It will take the DHCP requests from each subnet and forward them to the DHCP server.

http://allaboutmylife.wordpress.com/...sses-for-dhcp/

Comment

ok got it, and how about if you dont have a cisco router 2600, is there any cheap router to do this ? So a server for dhcp in this case could be windows server, or even a little small pc runing on usb pen linux, giving dhcp leases. Hmm starting to understand things. So there is no cisco router that can give multi subnet ip's
                            ?

Comment

Any router that supports inter-VLAN routing should work.

As for the router managing DHCP scopes for multiple VLAN's, I don't know as I've never configured a router as a DHCP server. If you use W2K3 or W2K8 as your DHCP server you can configure a scope for each VLAN and then configure the router as a DHCP helper and all should work fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X