Cisco Catalyst 2950

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco Catalyst 2950

Hey Guys, im thinking on buying this manages cisco switch " Cisco Catalyst 2950 24 Port ". I want to know howto setup cisco switches and learn about vlan etc etc. Do you think this is a good start tolear ? what can this switch do ? vpn ? dont really know much about this. And probably will buy a Cisco Pix 501 " CISCO PIX 501 firewall with firewall software 6.3(5) 10 users" to learn about firewall, is this ok? Opinions are apreciated.

Regards
    Kevin
    Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 18th July 2009, 11:22. Reason: Add more things

Re: Cisco Catalyst 2950

Depends on the version of the IOS. Start with the switch first and learn the fundamentals before you move onto the PIX. (incidentally the PIX is end of life and has been replaced with the ASA)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...s/ps628/ps630/

Remember Cisco switches are all command line. Some can be managed via the Cisco SDM (security device manager) but its essential you learn the commands first and develop a understanding of networking and its relation to a topology. You could invest in some CBT Nuggets aswell on Cisco kit by Jeremy Cioara.

Comment

Re: Cisco Catalyst 2950

Well i will be buying this equipment to lear howto setup vlans etc etc. I allready have a Cisco Aironet 1200 At home and love it, so i want to buy cisco 2950 or 3500 for the shop at a good price to lear howto set this up, and a Pix-501 at a resonable price for firewall at the shop. I allready have a few videos supplierd by a friend of mine, and a few pdf's. Just saw this switch Cisco WS-C3548-XL-EN Catalyst 3548 3500 Switches CCNP is this any good ? is it worth buying ? Anyway what is the diference between a XL and not XL cisco switch ?

Regards
      Kevin
      Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 18th July 2009, 16:33.

Comment

Working...
      X