Cisco 3750 work with any firewall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 3750 work with any firewall?

I'm new to the vlan stuff so bear with me.

I want to get a cisco 3750 as a core switch that will perform intervlan routing. Will this switch work with any firewall even if it isn't vlan aware? If so, how does that work I cant seem to wrap my head around it. Here is what the network would look like:

(VLAN 1)
    (VLAN 2) ------ (Cisco 3750)----(Firewall)----(Internet)
    (VLAN 3)
    Last edited by orange; 13th July 2009, 17:31.

Re: Cisco 3750 work with any firewall?

Here is a link that talks about configuring Layer 3 on Cisco switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...8019e74e.shtml

On your firewall, make sure that you are configuring routes to your VLANs so that the firewall knows where to send traffic.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Re: Cisco 3750 work with any firewall?

Originally posted by orange View Post
      I'm new to the vlan stuff so bear with me.

I want to get a cisco 3750 as a core switch that will perform intervlan routing. Will this switch work with any firewall even if it isn't vlan aware? If so, how does that work I cant seem to wrap my head around it. Here is what the network would look like:

(VLAN 1)
      (VLAN 2) ------ (Cisco 3750)----(Firewall)----(Internet)
      (VLAN 3)
      The firewall will only be able to talk to the VLANs providing it has a route or interface configured on that subnet/network. Remember there is no routing inbetween VLANS because they logically segment a broadcast domain unless a router is placed between them (which defeats the purpose of the VLAN). The Firewall essentially is a passive device and will only pass traffic for which it has a known route to. In that respect you can use any layer2/3 device for that purpose irrespective of brand.
      Last edited by scurlaruntings; 17th July 2009, 17:28.

Comment

Working...
      X