Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing a config changes for Cisco 878 & 877 Router

Hi All,

I have 1 Cisco 878 Router and a bunch of 877 Routers connecting our WAN. They are all running a production environment and need to be configured for QoS. I have done a bit of research and think I know what I need to do to configure QoS, especially for ICA. I could do this either through the SDM or on the command line. However, I'm afraid to go ahead and make the changes because I don't want to accidentally screw up the config for these production routers.
    I have read about Dynamips/Dynagen/GNS3 and think that this would be great to test out new configs, however, as far as I am aware, dynamips currently doesn't support 800 series routers.

If anyone has any recommendations/suggestions on how I can best test a new config without destroying a production router, I'd be very glad to hear it!

Thanks all!

Max

PS. Our 877 routers are running "Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)"

Re: Testing a config changes for Cisco 878 & 877 Router

The best way is to not touch anything that works
    What can you do? First of all backup the startup configs from all routers(into flash memory and on your personal computer - fia TFTP) and put them in safe place. Second, backup the IOS.
    After this first steps, try to write down all the thinks that you want to achieve and IOS commands that lets you the configure your needs.
    When all the above steps are done : in time periods when nobody is using the network (night or in weekend days) try to do your work : one router by time, test all the things and move to next one.
    Good luck in this sensitive case

Comment

Re: Testing a config changes for Cisco 878 & 877 Router

The best way is to not touch anything that works
      Haha. I definitely agree!

However, I need to setup the QoS and am already doing too much work during the night, and as such would prefer to setup a test environment using simulators/emulators which could also tie in with my test lab.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Max

Comment

Working...
      X