Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk a port on a cisco 2950 problem

i m using packet tracer.
    all i want is to have a transparent switch with an administrative ip address so i would be able to configure it from the network.

thats what i have done :
    1. took a 1841 router and configured it with a 192.168.0.254 ip address.
    2. connected it to the 2950 switch on port fa0/1
    3. configured a new vlan on the switch(called VLAN_CONF) , and gave it an ip address 80.18.69.69.
    4. connected a PC to port fa0/5 on the switch.
    5. configured the fa0/5 on the switch to work as a trunk (in order to pass both the default vlan and the VLAN_CONF).
    i did it like that :
    enable
    conf t
    interface fa0/5
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk allowed vlan all

now, the problem is that only the default vlan is passed through that port.
    i cant ping to the 80.18.69.69 ip of the switch !
    why cant i pass more than one vlan on that port ??

thanks !

Re: Trunk a port on a cisco 2950 problem

I could be wrong but I am going to give it a shot.

To my knowledge, in order for a trunk link to work both ends must be configured to trunk. Ex two switches connected to each other and set to the same trunking protocol.

What it sounds like to me, is that you are essentially trying to have a port on the switch be in two VLANS at once, so the PC can participate in both of them. To my knowledge this cannot be done.

In addition, ports must be added to VLANs. So if you want port 5 to be in VLAN_CONF you must add it to that VLAN. You also must remove it from VLAN 1 (defualy VLAN) which is why I am fairly certain that a port can only be a member to one VLAN.

To add port 5 to the VLAN_Conf vlan try the following from the configure terminal prompt.

int fa0/5
    switchport mode access vlan VLAN_CONF

The port should now be in that VLAN and be able to ping the ip address of that VLAN.

However, it will be removed from Vlan 1.

Hope this helps, sorry if any of my information is incorrect but I belive it to be correct.

Comment

In Packet Tracer you cannot make the PC to switch/router connection to act as a trunk. In real world, in some NICs you may have this choice. In this simulator PC can be only connected to an access port.

Comment

so...
        there is no way to make the PC to work on VLAN1 and also to be able to configure the switch from the PC by telnet to the switch ip address ???
        i know there is a way cause i saw something like that...
        but how can i do it ??

Comment

There is a single way : the management VLAN and users VLAN need to be the same; in your case : the management VLAN will remain the default one : VLAN 1 and your computer will be plugged into a port which is defined as an access port on same vlan : VLAN1 (switch(config-if)#switchport mode access - switch(config-if)#switchport allowed vlan 1)

Originally posted by kakibula View Post
          so...
          there is no way to make the PC to work on VLAN1 and also to be able to configure the switch from the PC by telnet to the switch ip address ???
          i know there is a way cause i saw something like that...
          but how can i do it ??

Comment

great...
            thanks !

Comment

Working...
            X