Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco Will Not Boot into RxBoot mode

Hello all.

I need to upgrade the IOS version on my cisco 3640 128/32 routers. The IOS is 25 MB and I know that there are issues using TFTP with cisco routers and IOSs bigger than 15 MB. I have done this before in RAM mode using FTP but I wanted to try this in boot mode with RCP for a change. However, none of my three 3640s will boot into boot mode.

I perform the following as this guide states:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800810f3.html (scroll to middle)

router> enable
    password: password
    router# config t
    router-config# config-register 0x2101
    router-config# ^Z

I then issue the show version command and it states that on reload config reg will be 2101.

I reload the router but it does not go into boot mode. If I issue the show version command it says that config register is 2101 but yet I do not have the router(boot) prompt.

What am I do wrong? Or is there something wrong with my equipment. I have this same issue on all three routers so I think I am doing something wrong, however I do not know what as I am following the cisco documentation.

-Thanks

Re: Cisco Will Not Boot into RxBoot mode

Looks like you forgot to do a write mem after you change the config reg and reloaded.

Comment

I tried the same steps above, this time with the write mem command and received the same results.

Any other ideas?

-Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TripleSeven View Post
        I tried the same steps above, this time with the write mem command and received the same results.

Any other ideas?

-Thanks

I happend to to stumble upon this link for the cisco support wiki

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWik...vice_Platforms

If you scroll down to the section that is titled "Flash SIMM Memory" There is a note at the bottom that states the following:

"36x0 platforms have no Boot Flash, and no RxBoot. So, NetBooting is not possible. Therefore, having a good Cisco IOS software image on Flash SIMM or the PCMCIA Flash card is important

Comment

Thanks.

I was able to flash the routers with ftp, worked like a champ.

Trying to do the same on my two 2950 switches now but running into some problems.

I am going to do some searching before I make a post though.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

I am glad everything worked out.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
            X